I might have a stolen comp - dangerous to use??

SoloScott

I have a former roommate who was not an upstanding member of society. While we lived together he got a couple computers to use and let me use one. When he left, I asked if he needed to return "my" computer, but he was not eager to return it to whomever he got it from. I suspected it might be stolen, but I didn't ask. It has never been on the internet with me, but now it's the best comp I have. If I get internet service, is there any way to trace this computer back to .... a previous owner? Microsoft has ways to detect devices on your machine for software upgrades; I believe that you must allow this. I don't know if there is any type of stolen computer database. What about identifing a machine by hardware MAC addresses? Call me paranoid.

Thanks.

SoloScott

Not only did we leave on bad terms, but it would take a lot of digging to find him. It's easier to ask here than to track him down.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well if your worried that the computer will be tracked down from data on your computer...then a healthy refreshing Format will do the trick...but there is one thing...if someone actually went into the computer they could still recover the files :( This should explain it ;)

SoloScott

I am more concerned with the computer transmitting some type of signature data, or a computer company (e.g. Microsoft or Dell) being able to look at info associated with my comp (like a hardware MAC address) and compare it with hardware sold to a known user (who may have reported a missing computer). Is that possible or am I on crank?

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well it is possible....but I dont think that could happen....if your worried people are looking into your system info...dont go on the internet and if you do get a firewall :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I think a stolen computer can be tracked down only if some tracking software was installed previously on that computer. Such a software resides both on the hard disk and in bios, so you can even change the hdd and the computer will be tracked down.
But this could be the case only if the computer was stolen from a company that installed theft-guards on their computers.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Computers that have been bought from comapany (Dell, Compaq etc) Usually come with a number on the back of there computers....does yours or doesn't it contain one....that could of easily ripped off though. Whats the computer??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It has never been on the internet with me, but now it's the best comp I have. If I get internet service, is there any way to trace this computer back to .... a previous owner?
1. Dotn connect
2. Format
3. If you're really paranoid, open teh box and see whats inside :)