I might want an Agena....

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Ooh, I didn't think Amd's new quad core was going to be so good. Looks great!

Yeah, Amd really needed to lower prices alot, else they would've flat out failed the market. Agena's going to be a turning point, they're back in the performance game. Suweet.

Another computer with an Agena? Oh man you're going to turn into Kof. :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
:D, just wait till the first of next year, I have a feeling AMD with the Phenom Agena X4 and Kuma X2 is getting ready to wipe the floor up!

maroon1

Those articles you posted are very old...... just look at there date

Barcelona just came out, and it is barely faster than the current Xeon in server. Not to mention that Barcelona is supposed to compete with the upcoming 45nm Xeon, not the current Xeon

Here is a benchmark for Barcelona
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13176

And in desktop, the Barcelona is not much better than the current AMD K8
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3092&p=6

I think Core 2 processors can beat it in desktop applications

K10 is not as good AMD claimed. Few months ago AMD claimed that Barcelona is going to be around 40% faster than the current Xeon processors at the same clock speed. But it seems that all AMD claims are noting but a lie

Last edited:

TheOrangeDude

lets just say it fail, amd and intel is full with shit. But u have to give credit to amd for making intel lower their price on cpu so we can buy cpu at a reasonable price.

StrangleHold

Staff member
And in desktop, the Barcelona is not much better than the current AMD K8
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3092&p=6

I think Core 2 processors can beat it in desktop applications

K10 is not as good AMD claimed. Few months ago AMD claimed that Barcelona is going to be around 40% faster than the current Xeon processors at the same clock speed. But it seems that all AMD claims are noting but a lie

From your link 1 Barcelona against 2 X2, And the Barcelona is still suppost to even scale better with mulit processors. You do know it a server processor? And theres no way you can compare the barcelona to a core 2 desktop, you will have to wait for the Phenom X4 and X2 that uses non ECC 1066 ram, higher hypertransport and really on a desktop board running 64 bit OS.

With the test methodology explained, how does Barcelona stack up to a pair of dual-core Opterons? In other words, how much faster can we expect Phenom to be vs. the Athlon 64 X2? To put it succinctly, it looks like around 15% clock for clock:
barck8.png
Clock for clock there's nothing short of a huge increase in performance over the K8 based Opterons in SYSMark 2007. The E-Learning and Video Creation tests are both around the 20% mark, while 3D rendering drops to a 12% advantage, but the productivity suite sees almost a 30% increase in performance thanks to Barcelona. The overall improvement in SYSMark 2007 ends up being 15%.
In fact, the average performance improvement of Barcelona over K8 ends up being 11.5% and 14.3% if we exclude the two 1.8% outliers in our data.

Last edited:

maroon1

From your link 1 Barcelona against 2 X2, And the Barcelona is still suppost to even scale better with mulit processors. You do know it a server processor? And theres no way you can compare the barcelona to a core 2 desktop, you will have to wait for the Phenom X4 and X2 that uses non ECC 1066 ram, higher hypertransport and really on a desktop board running 64 bit OS.

With the test methodology explained, how does Barcelona stack up to a pair of dual-core Opterons? In other words, how much faster can we expect Phenom to be vs. the Athlon 64 X2? To put it succinctly, it looks like around 15% clock for clock:
barck8.png
Clock for clock there's nothing short of a huge increase in performance over the K8 based Opterons in SYSMark 2007. The E-Learning and Video Creation tests are both around the 20% mark, while 3D rendering drops to a 12% advantage, but the productivity suite sees almost a 30% increase in performance thanks to Barcelona. The overall improvement in SYSMark 2007 ends up being 15%.
In fact, the average performance improvement of Barcelona over K8 ends up being 11.5% and 14.3% if we exclude the two 1.8% outliers in our data.

Yea, in desktop the performance for Barcelona is not much better than K8, and it is slower than Core 2

In server, Barcelona is just slightly faster than the current Xeon. Many old articles claimed that Barcelona is going to be 40% faster, but we found that those were just rumors

I don't think that the higher hypertransport on Phenom will make any huge difference. And remember that Phenom is supposed to compete with Intel Penryn, not with the current Core 2......

Anyway, I was amazed because many people here are fooled by an old rumors, just like the people who were fooled by the rumors about Barcelona being 40% faster Xeon. My point is that before people make claims that AMD Agena is going to be the ultimate processor and it will wipe the floor up, they need to wait and see. Agena is not going to be as good as what AMD claims, and Barcelona wasn't as good as what AMD claimed

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
You seem to forget a few things while making your claims by people being fooled, whos trying to fool who here.
1. Barcelona is a server processor, not a desktop. Plus the barcelona will scale alot better with more than one processor. Theres no way to judge how the Agena and kuma performance will be by the first released barcelona server processor.
2. Being just released with the B0 stepping, once the stepping is improved and the MHZ increased almost every review says the performance will improve
3.Agena and Kuma has not even been released, might not be till Nov. or Dec. you have no way of knowing how they will perform.
4. Seeing you have the P4 3.2 with netburst you could have done the same fool test you are doing now!

Last edited:

maroon1

You seem to forget a few things while making your claims by people being fooled, whos trying to fool who here.
1. Barcelona is a server processor, not a desktop. Plus the barcelona will scale alot better with more than one processor. Theres no way to judge how the Agena and kuma performance will be by the first released barcelona server processor.

Have you even looked at techreport review ?

They were comparing two quad core Xeon processor vs two Barcelona processor

2. Being just released with the B0 stepping, once the stepping is improved and the MHZ increased almost every review says the performance will improve
I was comparing Xeon vs Barcelona at same clock speed.

Techreport already have Barecelona @2.5GHz. And they did review for it

3.Agena and Kuma has not even been released, might not be till Nov. or Dec. you have no way of knowing how they will perform.
The main difference between Agena and Barcelona is that Agena have higher hypertransport speed

But both are based on the same architecture

Theres no way to judge how the Agena and kuma performance will be by the first
I'm not the one who judged the performance of Agena and kuma

Just read some of earlier posts here. There someone here said that Agena will wipe the floor up. There is another one said that Agena is going to be better than Intel processor !!

In my previous post I said that people need to wait and see before they claim that AMD is going to wipe the floor up

Last edited:

maroon1

And Xeon beats barcelona easily in Integer performance

wme9.gif

Xeon L5335 runs only at 2GHz and it beats the 2GHz Opteron 2350 at media encoding

sandra-mm-int.gif

2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.5GHz Opteron 2360 HE

cine-render.gif

2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.0GHz Opteron 2350 here

pfactory-total.gif

Again, 2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.0GHz Opteron 2350

StrangleHold,

AMD claimed that Barcelona was going to be around 40% faster than Intel Xeon

But it seems that all there claims are bullshit.

And Xeon beats barcelona easily in Integer performance

wme9.gif

Xeon L5335 runs only at 2GHz and it beats the 2GHz Opteron 2350 at media encoding

sandra-mm-int.gif

2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.5GHz Opteron 2360 HE

cine-render.gif

2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.0GHz Opteron 2350 here

pfactory-total.gif

Again, 2.0GHz Xeon L5335 beats 2.0GHz Opteron 2350

StrangleHold,

AMD claimed that Barcelona was going to be around 40% faster than Intel Xeon

But it seems that all there claims are bullshit.

They are supposed to compete with Intel's 45nm Server chips.. Not the current ones, so what does that tell you?

maroon1

They are supposed to compete with Intel's 45nm Server chips.. Not the current ones, so what does that tell you?
The current Xeon beats Barecelona in integer performance, but Barcelona beats them in floating point performance. Overall, Barcelona is slightly faster than the current Xeon

The 45nm Xeon are going to be 5-10% faster than current Xeon per clock, and they will consume less power as well.

But 45nm Xeon is not out yet, it will come out on November this year

Last edited: