i need 2 become an adminitrator on my laptop but i dont know the password

04loviej

I have a bit of a problem, ive got my hands on a laptop from my nan, she set it up although she doesnt know anything about computers, and she cant remember the password for her user (shes the administrator) i know my password but im not an administrator,

she has given the computer to me to keep but i need to set up it on my home wireless network so i need 2 get into my nans user. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:mad: :confused: :mad:

would it work if i just set it back to factory settings (if so how?) or should i reinstall Windows,

MANY THANKS

#J#

Last edited:

youtin

You have to press a key (I'm not really sure which key, what I do is I just press all sorts of random keys until I get the right one) while Windows is booting and then a screen will come out with selections including "Start Windows XP in Safe Mode" and that's it. In safe mode, only the vital processes are enabled.

Geoff

VIP Member
youtin said:
You have to press a key (I'm not really sure which key, what I do is I just press all sorts of random keys until I get the right one) while Windows is booting and then a screen will come out with selections including "Start Windows XP in Safe Mode" and that's it. In safe mode, only the vital processes are enabled.
its F8.

But you can only change the Admin password if there isnt a password to begin with.

jbrown456

I think you are confusing your Nan's admin account with the xp admin account. When you boot into safe mode, windows has an account that will only show up in safe mode, callled "administrator". So boot up and keep pressing F8 and try to log in under administrator.

ramdge

Like jbrown456 said, use the F8 key to boot into safe mode then
try to login as the Administrator. It will be the first account
listed in safe mode. I

f it lets you into windows xp then goto Start- Control Panel -
and find User Accounts. You can delete passwords and
whole accounts while you are logged in as the Administrator.

LITHIUM

usually when you are the administrator you don't need a password. that is how it is on ALL of my computers. just clikc OK without a password typed in

apj101

VIP Member
LITHIUM said:
usually when you are the administrator you don't need a password. that is how it is on ALL of my computers. just clikc OK without a password typed in
if you dont set an admin password what's the point in having any passwords?

thebeginning

there are freeware progs you can get that you can use to figure out passwords (although some are just key depression recorders, so if she hasnt typed it in in a while you wont be able to find it). check majorgeeks.com

TEKKA

Give this a go, Go into google an type in EMBC Click the first link EMBC Homepage, I think this should help u out. (if the other info the guys have given u doesn't work) Note: u need a cd burner.

suprasteve

I think what the last two posts were referring to is a bootbale disk that will alter the files where the passwords are saved, that should work but I had a thread closed for talking about it cause it was "hacking" my own computer