I need a certain type of a monitor.

DarkNinja

I need a certain type of a monitor. I don't know what type it's called, but my manual for my PC says the symbol is a box within a box. What is the name of that symbol? i don't think my computer will be able to connect to any other monitor type. Is that symbol called VGA?

Does anyone know good ones for the price? What are some good stores or sites to buy from?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

look at the back of your pc, normally has the name written beside the connectore, should be VGA, DVI, or HDMI, if nothing else take or find a poc of the same connector and post it

Aastii

VIP Member
i think mine is in the middle.

I'm going to buy an adaptor to be able to use my old monitor.

Also, I noticed some say, "female" or "male" or female/male." What is this about? Is it important?

That is a VGA connector. You can tell by the shape, the colour(though VGA is not always blue) and by the 15 pins arranged in 3 rows of 5.

Male means the connector has the pins, female means the connector has the holes. The socket on the graphics device, like in the picture, is always the female one as it has the holes, the same is true with the DVI connector (on the right on the pic), but the HDMI (on the left) is male, with the cable being female, because, as you can see, there is the pin in the middle of the connector on the card.

You do not need a VGA monitor either. You can use either VGA or DVI, though if you get a monitor with no VGA connector but with DVI, you will need a VGA to DVI adapter

DarkNinja

That is a VGA connector. You can tell by the shape, the colour(though VGA is not always blue) and by the 15 pins arranged in 3 rows of 5.

Male means the connector has the pins, female means the connector has the holes. The socket on the graphics device, like in the picture, is always the female one as it has the holes, the same is true with the DVI connector (on the right on the pic), but the HDMI (on the left) is male, with the cable being female, because, as you can see, there is the pin in the middle of the connector on the card.

You do not need a VGA monitor either. You can use either VGA or DVI, though if you get a monitor with no VGA connector but with DVI, you will need a VGA to DVI adapter

So if i buy a male/female vga and dvi adaptor, can the adaptor be dvi as female and vga be male, or dvi male and vga female? Or are they both the same?

Aastii

VIP Member
There are two types on adapters you can get. One that is an adapter to turn VGA into DVI, so you then use a standard DVI - DVI cable, or you can get a DVI - VGA cable.

Check your monitor for whether it is a male or female DVI port. If it has pins, it is male, if it has holes, it is female. You then get the appropriate cable. A male will only work with female, you can't fit a female into a female, as there are no pins, and you can't fit male into male, as both have pins with no holes. So, if your connection on the monitor is male, you need a VGA male > DVI female, if the connection is female, you will need VGA male > DVI male.

As for how you are typing it, if it says VGA > DVI Male/Female adapter, that means that the VGA will be male and DVI female, as it is listed in order, relating to the respective connections.

DarkNinja

There are two types on adapters you can get. One that is an adapter to turn VGA into DVI, so you then use a standard DVI - DVI cable, or you can get a DVI - VGA cable.

Check your monitor for whether it is a male or female DVI port. If it has pins, it is male, if it has holes, it is female. You then get the appropriate cable. A male will only work with female, you can't fit a female into a female, as there are no pins, and you can't fit male into male, as both have pins with no holes. So, if your connection on the monitor is male, you need a VGA male > DVI female, if the connection is female, you will need VGA male > DVI male.

As for how you are typing it, if it says VGA > DVI Male/Female adapter, that means that the VGA will be male and DVI female, as it is listed in order, relating to the respective connections.
My VGA port on the back of the PC is VGA female, the cord for the monitor is DVI male, so i ordered a VGA male and DVI female. This is what i ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-269...292&sr=8-12&keywords=DVI+to+VGA+Cable+Adapter
Is this OK? And, other than plugging this in, do i need to do anything else to make it work pretty well?

Aastii

VIP Member
That is the one you need. So long as you have a DVI cable, it will work just fine.

As for making it work, nothing else

DarkNinja

That is the one you need. So long as you have a DVI cable, it will work just fine.

As for making it work, nothing else

Someone in the feedback said:

"It looks (and sounds) like this adapter works ONLY when your signal is coming in from DVI and going out to VGA. It DOES NOT seem to work when you try going in from VGA and going out to DVI."

Should i be worried about this? The cable to the DVI monitor is male, and the VGA port to the PC is female. Will it work?

DarkNinja

OK, i have a problem. i connected the VGA to DVI adaptor to my new PC, connected everything, and although the internet connection seems to be working, the monitor is not working. the power button to the monitor is orange, meaning it's powered on, but i can't see anything. Nothing is showing up. What can i do to find out what is wrong?