I Need ADVISE, 1st time building a computer

mangosteen

I Need ADVICE, 1st time building a computer

I am going to use this computer for School/Gaming. Below is what I am thinking of getting. Tell me what you think. Any thing I should not get or change or add to it? As far as money goes, I would like it to be around the same price, but I'de be willing to spend a few extra bucks if it going to give a pretty big boost in power. MORE POWER ARR ARRR ARR. Or perhaps there are things I can spend less on and still get similar results.
==============================================
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra 800Mhz FSB S939,1PCI-Ex16/1PCI-E/3PCI/4DDR w/Sound SATA LAN USB2.0
CPU: AMD® Athlon™ 64 3800+ (2.2GHz) Socket-939 512K Bo
Video Card : Asus EN6800GT GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
DVD-ROM: LG GSA-4161BB internal 16x8 DL DVD±RW drive w/Software
Monitor: (19in CRT)??
Hardrive: Maxtor 200GB HD 7200rpm 16MB (SATA) #6B200S0
Memory: 1GB(512x2) DDR2 533Mhz (OCZ OCZ25331024VDC-K)
Floppy: 1.44mb Panasonic Floppy Drive
Keyboard: Fujitsu 8729 PS2 keyboard
Speaker Altec Lansing VS4121
Case: Antec ViewplusAMG 1000

I am debating over weather i should get a 4000+CPU or the 3800+. It would be $200 more to get 4000+. Maybe I should get and SLi board instead? incase later on i can add another vid card? because "Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce4 SLi 800Mhz FSB S939, 2PCI-Ex16/2PCI-E/2PCI/4DDR" would only cost $10 more.
One last thing i cant really decide is weather spending $200 more to get a 6800 ultra would be worth it or not?

Thnx, Mangosteen!

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Don't get DDR2. The mobo doesn't support it(well, feature wise...it would probably work)

I got the 4000 mostly because it fit in my budget and I do mostly processor hungry apps rather than gamming. The 4000 has a 1MB cache while the 3800 has 512KB. I don't know how much of a difference this really makes... For you, the Ultra would probably be the best option unless you just want to overclock the GT...

As for SLi, I don't like it. I mean it's great, but it's a good bit more expensive and I don't think many games will really support it.

ripken2004

what do u think the best non sli board would be for amd? obviously one with the nforce4 ultra chipset

hey, wheres ur psu?

mangosteen

oh yeh I havent really decided on a PSU yet, dont quite know how much juice its going to need? around 550W is good i think? Yeh I wil have to get different memory, which type does AMD support ?

Geoff

VIP Member
Could your perhaps list the prices, so we can see if your being overcharged. And where are you getting these from? You should get a case that comes with a PSU. I dont know that much about AMD's but i think it looks good.

ripken2004

get a case that comes with a psu! not for his machine, u need one like the ones i just posted, the ones that come with the case usually suck and are for the average machine

Geoff

VIP Member
What huge difference does it make? I have 2 custom computers that have a PSU that came with the case, and it runs just fine, nothing bad about it.

Charlie7940

What huge difference does it make?

Generally speaking, the PSUs that come with a case are crap. From your experience everything worked out fine...but let me tell you, the majority of people who buy a case + PSU are unsatisfied. I myself have had bad experiences with this.

oh yeh I havent really decided on a PSU yet, dont quite know how much juice its going to need? around 550W is good i think?

Read PSU 101 if you haven't already...It's not necessarily how many watts you need thats important but the rails/voltages to look at:

Praetor said:
How Many Watts do I Need?!?
Ive seen this question asked too many times and although its indirectly answered Ill answer it more directly:
- If you are concerned about getting a PSU sufficient enough for a high end system (say a SLI setup), check out a PSU with at least 30A on the 12V rail
- If you are getting a PSU for a system with a single high end video card than 28A-32A should give plenty of room
- Midrange systems should shoot for 24A on the 12V rail
- Really low-end, older or specialty systems can consider 18A on the 12V rail
Realistically, anythingg below 18A on the12V rail should not be considered. Why specify by amperage rather than wattage? Well anything that can meet the amperage guidelines as noted above will provided enough power for your setup

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra 800Mhz FSB S939,1PCI-Ex16/1PCI-E/3PCI/4DDR w/Sound SATA
1. AMD64 boards dont have a FSB
2. Even if they did, a socket 939 would have a "FSB" of 1000 or 2000

Video Card : Asus EN6800GT GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
Nice card -- very nice -- but overpriced.

DVD-ROM: LG GSA-4161BB internal 16x8 DL DVD±RW drive w/Software
Have a look at the CD/DVD 101 guide for some reccomendations -- LG is crap.

Memory: 1GB(512x2) DDR2 533Mhz (OCZ OCZ25331024VDC-K)
You cant get DDR2 on a AMD system.

One last thing I cant really decide is weather spending $200 more to get a 6800 ultra would be worth it or not?
$200 for an extra 75/50 MHz .... not worth it

Don't get DDR2. The mobo doesn't support it(well, feature wise...it would probably work)
Actually 240pin DDR2 wont fit in the 184pin DDR slots

what do u think the best non sli board would be for amd? obviously one with the nforce4 ultra chipset
MSI Neo4 Plat and Lan Party4 ... the ASUS one has some neat things too but the nonstandard PEG bridge isnt the brightest thing in the world

oh yeh I havent really decided on a PSU yet, dont quite know how much juice its going to need? around 550W is good I think?
Read the PSU101, got some suggestions there

Yeh I wil have to get different memory, which type does AMD support
AMD procs use DDR. See the RAM 101 for suggestions

get a case that comes with a psu! not for his machine, u need one like the ones I just posted, the ones that come with the case usually suck and are for the average machine
Huh? You seem to have contradicted yourself. Regardless, generally PSUs that come with cases are bad ... see the PSU101 for suggestions

a more important question is what ram and 3800+ or 4000+
1. Read the RAM101
2. The 4000 is, IMO, a superior choice hands down, venice or not, than the 3800

Read PSU 101 if you haven't already...It's not necessarily how many watts you need thats important but the rails/voltages to look at:
Hehe

mangosteen

Thank you praetor for the advise. How does the specs looks now? I have bolded the parts i have changed, which is basically everything, lol. I decided to change the vid card because it was $100 cheaper, i've also heard evga makes pretty good vid cards.

Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO4-Platinum(MS-7125-010) nForce 4 Ultra Chipset S939 1PCI-Ex16/4+2PCI/4DDR
CPU: AMD® Athlon™ 64 4000+ (2.4GHz) Socket-939 1MB Box
Video Card : eVGA E-GEFORCE 6800GT 256M TV-OUT & DVI PCI-E VIDEO CARD
DVD-ROM: Pioneer DVR-109 internal 16x16 DVD±RW drive (OEM)
Monitor: (19in CRT)??
Hardrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB 8MB SATA
Memory: 1GB(2x512MB) PC3200 400Mhz 184pin DDR (OCZ OCZ400512V3)
Floppy: 1.44mb Panasonic Floppy Drive
Keyboard: Fujitsu 8729 PS2 keyboard
Speaker Altec Lansing VS4121
Case: Antec ViewplusAMG 1000

mangosteen

The place i'm getting my computer doesnt have NEC3520A
how about a BenQ DW1620 Internal 16x Dual Layer DVD±RW drive w/Software instead? its a little cheaper.

98vert6spd

for the video card go wit hteh cheapest one available
i went with the pro link 6800 gt and benchmaek 15000+ on pcmark03
save the 70$ difference and put it elsewhere
perhaps into some cooling cause my case is hott now with a prescott and the 6800gt in there

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The place i'm getting my computer doesnt have NEC3520A
how about a BenQ DW1620 Internal 16x Dual Layer DVD±RW drive w/Software instead? its a little cheaper.
See the CD/DVD 101 for suggestions but if you cant get the NEC, the Pioneer is the best choice there

mangosteen

oh interesting I just found they have a MSI NX6800GT-T2D256E GEFORCE 6800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E 256BIT 2DVI TV OUT VIDEO CARD for $50 cheaper then the eVGA card. Should i get this one?