I need good advice upgrading video card

Jack.B.Nimble

I have a gateway dx4831 i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz , and I am looking to upgrade my video card. I currently have the radeon hd 5570 , and I am interested in the 5850 but I am not sure that my computer is good enough to do this.

My psu is a (liteon) ps_6301_08a , I believe it's only 300w, I understand I will most likely have to upgrade that to around 500w.

Anyway , if I upgrade my psu will that be enough to upgrade the video card to the 5850?

btw, this is for gaming.

bm23

I'd suggest a 6850 because i was doing some reading on it and it seems that the 6850's performance is almost on par with the 5850 but it's a lot cheaper and draw less power.

Jack.B.Nimble

what are your reasons for choosing the 5850?

would you be willing to try nvidia?

what's your price range?

I have been looking at a few different radeon cards, but the 5850 is a big jump from what I have now with out going to over board (I think).
I would consider nvidia aswell, I have just never had a nvidia card.
I would be willing to spend around $400 on a card aswell as upgrade my psu.

Jack.B.Nimble

I'd suggest a 6850 because i was doing some reading on it and it seems that the 6850's performance is almost on par with the 5850 but it's a lot cheaper and draw less power.

Do you foresee any problems with the specs of my computer upgrading to something like the 6850 besides the psu?

bm23

The only one i can think of right now is perhaps the size of the case because the 6850 (and the 5850) are both 9" long. I cant really judge the dimension of the case by the photos.

Jack.B.Nimble

well, I guess I'll have to break out the measuring tape... it is a fairly big tower , I had it open earlier and the card in it now has tons of room to spare.

Thanks guys.