i need help building a gaming computer

MineIQ1701

Luckily for you the mobo has whats called a UEFI BIOS, that makes it much easier to overclock, I actually have the board, it wont be a problem for you at all.

jonnyp11

I told him the 212 plus was good.

Also i did say 2500, that was asking if he needed the keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers too and also for upping to 7970's.

If you can now it's always better to pay more now so it lasts longer, to go up to 7970's it's be about 100 a piece, then to get a good ssd would be another 100-130, which i recommend doing all of those, but they aren't needed if you don't want to spend that much.

MineIQ1701

There are tutorials on youtube, but for the processor you need to go into the BIOS (or UEFI in your case) and change some settings, the graphics cards settings can be changed in windows with a easy little program.

jonnyp11

But the combo only has a 750w power supply which concerns me with the crossfire

750w is plenty

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=508

a single 7970 uses 357w for the entire system when under load. So if you attribute even 300w of that, which it would be way less than that, you're still only pulling 650w, which leaves a good bit of headroom. We recommend about 100w at least headroom i think normally, and this achieves that, normally we give a little more actually going by this, never paid too much attention, just picked up on the normal numbers and said those, but now i know why thanks to this :D.

For overclocking, youtube is a good thing but asking in the cpus and overclocking area is better. you can get a better explanation there, but to sum it up, you don't need to overclock the gpu at all but you probably can, as for the cpu, you must up the multiplier by .5, adding .05ghz to the clocks, then boot and run prime95 or another cpu heavy bench to stress the processor, while monitoring the temps to make sure they don't hit ~60 normally so you know you're safe, then reboot raising the multiplier again and checking again, then rinse and repeat until desired speeds with good temps are reached :D

Last edited:

locke

Ok I think that's it unless u think of anythig more all of u have been very helpfull. Could you post a full list of stuff I need and do you think this setup will still be good during the summer because I plan on doing all of this during summer vacation when I have more money and free time. Again thank u all

locke

O I didn't relize new parts would come out that fast but would they be the same price as the parts I'm getting now?

jonnyp11

O I didn't relize new parts would come out that fast but would they be the same price as the parts I'm getting now?

They might cost a little more, maybe add 100 to the build. Ivy Bridge is the newer i7's, it is basically the 2600k i linked, on a smaller die (the architecture used is shrunk down) which improves power usage from 95 watts to supposedly 77 watts, and also improves overclocking, so that i7 should hit closer to 4.6ghz i think, not sure there. Kepler is nvidias newest line of graphics cards, the HD 6XXX cards go against the GTX 5XX, obviously AMD already has many of their HD 7XXX cards out, and soon they will be coming out with their GTX 7XX cards which will go against the 7XXX's (the GTX 6XX's are going to be mobile ones). Also by then there will be different sales and deals.

locke

Do you think they will make a new combo with the new i7s but in case they don't do you think I would be better off with sticking to the old combo or just buying all the parts seperetly

jonnyp11

they prob won't have that combo then, they change them out all the time, and yeah, there will be, the i7's that came out a week or 2 ago (same as yours with 6 cores and 12 threads instead of 4 and 8, but cost either 600 or 1000 instead of 320) already are in combos.