I need help installing the realtek wireless drivers in lubuntu

LainJeremy

Hello,

I have installed lubuntu and I can't connect to the internet using wifi. I can connect to the internet using my phone to tether to the internet connected using usb, so I do have a internet connection. I would like to get my lubuntu computer connecting throught wifi so I don't always have to have my phone connected to the computer. Can someone please give instructions on how to do this?

UnholyVision

What is the wifi card make and model and any other details you can give? Can you say open a terminal and "lspci" or "lspci | grep -i wireless" so we know what we're working with?

LainJeremy

Here are the instructions on how to install the realtek wireless drivers (my wireless card is realtek rtl8723de). It should work the same if you have to git link for other wireless card drivers for ubuntu or the instructions should be very similar.

How to get rtl8723de drivers and install

Open terminal and type

Note before you start: You need to find your wireless card or external wireless card (usb dongles model) then you need to go to this website https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupportedand find out if your wireless card or wireless usb dongle is supported) if it is not listed then you need to type it in google.com and search for the type of card or dongle that you have to try to find the git link, you need to look for the git link and click on it to find out how to install it with the terminal by typing similar things below:

For this card you can follow these instructions below.

Somewhere in the within the instructions below it is going to ask you to enter a secure boot password and you need to type one in there. When you type reboot and the computer reboots you will see a menu that asks you if you want to type the mok password select the option that says mok at the end I dont remember what excactly it says but you need to choose that option it will then say enter password and enter the password you chose and type enter and then chose reboot from the options menu. After that you should be able to at the top right of the ubuntu screen once you login click the down arrow at the top right of your screen and select wifi, choose your network that you want to connect to, enter your wifi password, and it should allow you to connect to your network. Hope this helped! Follow my blog at aboutacomputer.com coming soon for more tutorials on ubuntu and other Operating Systems!

To install you have to type these instructions in a terminal window open up a terminal by clicking the small square boxes at the left of the bottom of your screen and in search type terminal.

sudo apt install git

git clone https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de.git -b 5.0-up

sudo apt-get install dkms

sudo dkms add ./rtl8723de

sudo dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414

sudo depmod -a

reboot

I will post a link to my website and a youtube video when I am finished completing a blog on this and a video.

These instructions should also work for No Wi-Fi Adapter Found In 19.04 (Please correct me if I am wrong)