I need help I've messed up something with my storage

Distortion9

I was installing a program (ESEA for csgo), and while i was rebooting my computer I had an error message appear. So, when this happened I simply restarted my computer, and the same message appeared. Now I've had this problem before, I simply reinstalled windows 10 on my pc to fix it. Now my problem is this I went into the advanced repairing tools to try to restore my windows, but I misclicked. I clicked on reset pc and keep personal files. Now I have my computer working fine but for some reason when tried to access my storage it says i have 500 gbs out of 1 tb. this is slightly worrying because not only is that the amount of games that i have stored on my pc but they dont appear on my pc at all. i reinstalled all my other applications and programs and when I opened steam, I my library is empty, s in my games do not exist on my pc. If anybody could help me out I'd really appreciate it. I am not a pc expert in the slightest so I'd really like some guidance on how to resolve my issue.

_Glitch

The rest of the 500gb storrage has properly been unallocated.
See if you can find them in "disk management".
Right click on "computer" and click manage.
In the left column you should find disk management under "storage".
See if you can find something called unallocated on disk0.

You can click on that, and choose format. Then you will have 2 partitions (you will see them as 2 drives) with 500gig each.

_Pete_

I might have misread the OP but if he trying to find his lost games/files and they are on that unallocated partion formatting it will definetly lose them. They are probably gone anyway but I don't think a format would be a good idea at the moment. I think my first action would be to use some recovery software. Unfortunately for something like this the freebies may not be up to the job. When I lost a gig of stuff by doing something very similar I bought a program from, I think Seagate or Western Digital that did work although it cost me £80 and took three days. I would look for the program but we are having work done in the house and that software is on my desktop which is all boxed up and in my garage out of the way temporarily.

Deadpool

Maybe you installed Windows on a different partition. The other partition may still exist with your old Windows files. You don´t get a dual boot option when booting do you?

Try some recovery software, like Recuva and see if it detects the other partition.

mistersprinkles

Guys you're not reading. He reinstalled windows using the repair tool. He's screwed. It's all gone. He's not getting it back.

I suggest, OP, that you do a clean reinstall of windows using a USB device and just reinstall everything. I hope you cloud saved.

_Glitch

Yeah ok, i can see i misread something.
Didn't know he wanted the data back. Jut thought i wanted the full capacity back.

But yeah, that's gonna be problematic.
But he could still find some of the files if he knows what he is looking for.
It's not completely gone until it's overwritten.

_Glitch

What's important is knowing the name of the file. (and a location is gonna speed up the search process. Recuva has suggestions of default windows locations)
If that's not clear, a ruff locations and a file type is necessary.
Else you are gonna get thousands of results, and most of them broken (not recoverable)

Recuva (as suggested by deadpool) is the most popular free recovery software. I have good experience with that.

Now, if it's entity directories you want recovered 100% without damage..... good luck. i'll suggest praying to whatever god you believe in.

Last edited: