I need help on setting my own computer shop up

hi guys
I am just wondering if anybody can help me out by telling me what all I need for inveotry and other things I need because Im going to do custom build computers,repair computers, web hosting and also web page design.so if anybody can help me out that would be really great thanks Tim.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
for webhosting: you'll need at least a couple servers to start, they need maximum uptime which will include a raid 5 array, and tape backups, sufficient ups's and high bandwidth internet access (both up and down). oh and a static IP address with a good (enterprise class) router.

for computer tech: you'll need internet access and a switch, at least a monitor keyboard mouse with a kvm switch, (depending on how short of a turn around time you can pull off and how much business you plan to bring in), you may look into either a 4 port or 8 port kvm switch. you should also have the normal tools available and a bench computer (you'll occasionally need to rip out HD's and connect them to it for difficult backup jobs.

building computers: you have most of what you need for this, but you may want to look into qualifiing with Microsoft to be a System Builder (i forget the exact term). It allows businesses to purchase Windows from places like PCConnection at a significant discount.

Web design: not my cup of tea, sorry :(

Geoff

VIP Member
well, you need the following:

Opererating Systems (Win XP, Win 200, etc)
Cases
Motherboards (Intel and AMD)
Processors (AMD and Intel)
Keyboards
Monitors
Mice
Hard Drives
Video Cards (Optional)
Sound Cards (Optional)
CD Drives/DVD Drives
Floppy Drives
and a bunch of other little gizmos that you want to include with your custom pc (Flash drives, blank cd's, games, fan controllers, etc)

Just a little bit of advice, i dont think it would be the smartest idea to start a computer building/repairing company if you dont know what parts to put into a computer, no offense.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you want to do webhosting, you will need a fast internet connection, you will need at least a 5mb downstream and at least a 512k upload. Thats if you only want to host a few websites. If you want to do serious webshosting, you would probably need a T3 Line or faster.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Opt for Standard keyboards (perhaps Microsoft, or some other computer brand.) As for mice, get optical mice.

Get some CRT monitors (Between 15 and 17 inches) and some LCD screens too. Generic mouse pads will be fine.

Get at least some CD-RW drives and DVD-ROM drives, if not some CD-RW/DVD+/- combo drives. As for hard drives, get at least 80 GB hard drives.

RAM? Well, put at least 512MB into each machine. Rosewill is cheaper. Crucial works very well, as does Kingston and Samsung brand RAM.

Power supplies? Get mid-priced quality PSU units.

Cases? You may want to get a mix of Black and White standard cases.

Definately get quality power strips with surge protection

Get static guard wristbands to ground yourself during work.

Some good lighting and perhaps some flashlights will make seeing inside computer cases easier.

Speakers? Try computer stereo speakers....perhaps some with a subwoofer (good quality ones.)

Graphics cards? For absolute office computers, get 32 MB cards.

You may also want to sell 64MB and 128MB video cards, and maybe 256MB cards for customers who are computer gamers.

You may also want to get Linux distributions (which are absolutely free as an operating system) for low end machines.

Get some middle range sound cards and ethernet cards too. Depending on what your customers want, high end parts may be desired. Depends on customer's budget for any machines that they want built to buy (and parts they want to buy).

Last edited: