I need help STOP error code c000021a

Hi guys, I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend, I've almost exhausted all possible options aside from pulling the drive and looking at it externally with another computer / wiping it and installing windows 7.

This is a blue screen problem, specifically c000021a
0x00000000 0xc0000001 0x00010538

I'm not giving up, I'm determined to fix it, first she couldn't get it to start, reseated the ram, started to clean it up and then it turned off, then bluescreen. She said the computer was compromised in the past "Hacked" and some guy fixed it and apparently it worked for 3 weeks, I don't know what his solution was for a compromised computer, I would have just wiped it.

Now the error code seems to suggest a compromised system, preventing the OS from starting.

What I have tried:

Safe mode, bluescreen
System Repair, can't fix errors
SFC /scannow - pending repair
chkdsk /f, fixed errors, didn't work
system recovery, can't select windows drive

other options:
system image disk repair
pull drive, pull files, reinstall windows

What do you guys think, I just had her get DVD R disks so I can try and create a system repair disk with another computer that is also windows 7, I'll see if that fixes it.

I have to figure out how to get past that sfc scannow problem as I haven't ran that yet.

Otherwise the stuff I've tried above hasn't worked. I can't seem to system restore for some reason, it says I have to choose the drive that has windows on it but I can't seem to click anything although the option listed is C or system (one thing) which I can't click.

What are your thoughts?

I may more than likely have to bring it home, and possibly buy one of those sata to usb adapters.

I'm going to try the system repair disk

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What brand of drive is it? You should run a diagnostic on it by running the drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic program. Verify the drive is good first.

Then if the diagnostic says drive is good then use an adapter or attach the drive to another system via sata and power cable and run malware scans on it using Malwarebytes. You can also at this time run Tdsskiller on it to make sure there are no rootkits. If you need more help, just ask.

Well I ended up wiping the drive and setting it back to factory default.

I put linux on a drive and accessed the hard drive, showed her the files and she didn't want to keep anything so I reset it.

The real problem is this faulty switch on the Toshiba computer, apparently it is a known problem, this faulty switch is so sensitive that the computer just turns off randomly. I thought it was the CPU overheating but I checked the temperature and although it is higher (closer towards max) it doesn't overheat and shut down.

And the computer stays on for different periods of time, sometimes less than a minute, other times several hours.

So, I had her order the power button membrane and will replace that. I can see that it is the button as just gliding over the button rather than pushing it in turns the computer on.

Anyway, oh well. Crazy how we computer people can just see through a computer and fix it but to the others it might as well be magic.

I'm just the kind of person like I have to fix it now, I can't wait. Unfortunately I have to.

Anyway, thank you for the response.

For future reference the computer is a Toshiba Satellite A665 Series A665-S6050

It's so strange, how it turns on and off and you can't seem to keep it on for any specific period of time guaranteed.

So I feel defeated like I didn't do my job as a "computer repairman" so to speak.

I went through like 30 links or more looking for information and although software wise the computer is fresh, this problem of not being able to stay on/start remains.

I had this dumb suggestion of "Well if you keep the keyboard upright and lay it on the screen, that can turn it on, as there is no pressure on the touch-power-button. Then you can set it back down to normal position and it'll stay on." which seems silly and wasn't always the case. If I deem something fix, it should be fixed... oh well. She bought the part and is committed that it has to be fixed further. It's workable now but only to a person who knows how to "fidget it" just right to work which isn't for a non-computer-savvy person.

Agent Smith

Just for future reference you could have connected the computer to a VM or other machine and ran Whocrashed or Bluescreenview.