I need help!

Lamilia

I have been having computer problems for a while now, and I couldn't figure it out so I just let it go. First my PC will start up automatically like 10 seconds after I shut it down sometimes. Also sometimes it will show the windows loading screen and after that it will go to a black screen (and never boot XP). Most of the time all I have to do is turn off the computer and try again, but sometimes I have to go into safe mode and return to a previous state with the system restore thing before it will work again. Keep in mind that this happens at random times. There were times when I hadn't installed, downloaded, or messed with anything (other than running games and firefox) for weeks and it still happened. So today I used google and came up with a few things that might help so I restart my pc and go into BIOS and my keyboard won't work at all, which is weird since it needs to recognize my keyboard to get into BIOS. I'm thinking its a bad motherboard, but I want to ask here before I go to all the trouble of getting a new one. I think I have posted here a few other times with the same problem but no one replied with anything helpful.

paratwa

If you are using a USB keyboard, then sometimes it will not work in the bio's. Thats because the drivers for USB have not loaded yet. You can buy an adapter for usb to ps2. Use the adapter and plug it into the ps2 port on the back of your computer. Most of the time your keyboard comes with that adapter, so check to see if you have one around.

Have you tried doing a repair installation of windows?

Lamilia

If you are using a USB keyboard, then sometimes it will not work in the bio's. Thats because the drivers for USB have not loaded yet. You can buy an adapter for usb to ps2. Use the adapter and plug it into the ps2 port on the back of your computer. Most of the time your keyboard comes with that adapter, so check to see if you have one around.

Have you tried doing a repair installation of windows?
Yeah I know I have a backup keyboard just for dos and stuff thats ps2. I have done things in bios before so I know its not the keyboard. How do I go about doing a repair installation and would it wipe out my computer?

paratwa

Heres a good link on how to do a repair installation.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Try changing the port you have your usb keyboard in. From the back of the computer to the front, or visa versa.

Did you try using a ps2 keyboard? If so, it still did not work? Then your motherboard drivers might be corrupt, or missing. Do your usb ports work when the system is running? If so, then it might be using microsofts usb drivers at that point, when your system first boots it wants the motherboard drivers.

Reload or update your drivers for your motherboard. You might try updating your bio's as well.

Last edited:

tremmor

I use a usb keyboard but there is a time and place for a older serial keyboard.
$10.00 and i use to wipe only. you can pull the switch later. Or like i think mentioned above they may be talking about a boot disk with usb support.
Query at google ' usb dos mode boot panasonic'

tremmor

Ok........i deserved that. i don't know what happened. I think and im convinced i have issues on my end. the post was about booting with usb support in dos mode. i'll be dam if i know. i apologize. i read and thats not what i replied to.
i dont know. i'll take a closer look at my end.

tremmor

StrangleHold

Staff member
You need to use a PS/2 keyboard to get into the bios and enable USB keyboard support to use your USB keyboard in the bios. How old is this board, it sounds like a few problems at once. Have you tried replacing the battery, sometimes when there getting low it will do all kinds of weird stuff when booting till there dead and you get to the point to where it reset itself to default everytime you shut down, sometimes it wont even boot.

Lamilia

You need to use a PS/2 keyboard to get into the bios and enable USB keyboard support to use your USB keyboard in the bios. How old is this board, it sounds like a few problems at once. Have you tried replacing the battery, sometimes when there getting low it will do all kinds of weird stuff when booting till there dead and you get to the point to where it reset itself to default everytime you shut down, sometimes it wont even boot.
I have used bios before I know its not the keyboard's fault and it won't even recognize my ps/2 keyboard. This computer is...hmm I think just under 2 years old so I don't think the battery is the problem since I have had computers way older with a perfectly fine battery. This stuff doesn't happen all the time its just once every few weeks its just very annoying when it starts doing it so I'm trying to figure out why. No one answered me about if a repair of xp would get rid of the stuff on my pc or not...I don't want to try it until I know for sure. Also how am I supposed to update BIOS when I can't use a keyboard to get into bios and make it so floppy is higher on the boot list (I never could get my floppy to boot before anyways...).