I need help!

BradMan

I am going to build a computer for the first time and i need some advice. I am looking for a good motherboard that i can play some games on, but i dont want to turn it into a straight up gaming computer. I already have my power supply and 2 120 gb hard drives. i would appreciate any and all advice!

BradMan

i would luike tp spend between 180 and 220 for a decent motherboard. If that's overkill, let me know. I would also prefer Intel

robina_80

ok so your ademant you want an intel rig good choice yeah that mobo sounds good what cpu you getting with that?

paratwa

what do you mean by that?

It means that the motherboard you select will be related to what CPU you want to put on it.

You do know that a mother board needs a CPU don't you? Without a CPU a motherboard is just a piece of circuitry that will do nothing.

paratwa

so what is a good cpu suggestion?

How much do you have to spend on a CPU and a Motherboard?

Also, do you want to run Vista or Xp on it?

And you will need a video card to go with a new mother board, unless you buy one with a video card built into the board. But the graphics on built in video cards suck.

And you will need some ram to go with the motherboard. So I would figure you would need at least $400 to build a decent system. And that is not including the case, monitor, cd/dvd drive or anything else, Just the motherboard, video card, CPU and ram.

But if you want a basic system you could probably get by with $400 to build the entire system with everything.

But you would be out of the Dual core Intel chips and using AMD AM2 chips. But it would still be a good system, just not the fastest.

Last edited:

BradMan

ok, i am getting a custom built case for free, and i got all of the hardware already taken care of. i would like vista but if i can spend more money on my other stuff and just run xp then im kool with that. i would like to spend bout 450 on my mother oard, cpu, sound card and vid card. will i still have a pretty decent system that way?

Al-Iman

Intel ...A really GOod CHoice!

I would suggest that if you decide on getting an Intel Motherboard (Check Intel.com for Motherboards) , to use at least a Core 2 Duo CPU , Its a huge difference from the Pentium D and not much difference from the overly priced Core 2 Quad.....Note: NOT all games are compatible with Core 2 Extreme CPU JUST YET :(

Al-Iman

ok, i am getting a custom built case for free, and i got all of the hardware already taken care of. i would like vista but if i can spend more money on my other stuff and just run xp then im kool with that. i would like to spend bout 450 on my mother oard, cpu, sound card and vid card. will i still have a pretty decent system that way?

I say Just weigh your options, For a motherboard , look For the quality of chipset and what its capable of holding (for Good gaming dont worry about onboard video , but youll need a motherboard with a PCIE x16 slot.)..doesnt need to be more then 150. Get a Real good CPU...Spend between $150 to $250 midrange (You spend less you get heavily lower performance, you spend more youll get a small increase of performance for a BIG price.) Onboard soundcards on Late 945 chipsets + UP MOBOs are GOOD. Dont waste your money on XP Vista (Many Bugs that arent visible til your too late) Im personally waiting a year or so on Vista...XP Pro or home does everything i need! :>

Last edited:

BradMan

um, how do i look for a quality of chipset? What do i look for as far as that goes? And what do u plug into a PCIE x16 slot?

paratwa

You plug a video card into a PCI 16 slot, that's what it is there for.

It is also known as a PCI-E slot. Or a PCI-express slot.

BradMan

oK, thanks. and what chipset do i look for? And a core 2 duo cpu would work well for what i'm building?

Last edited:

b3rt_d4ni3l

ok, there are a couple motherboard that are good right now. However, you have to choose whether you will be running two graphic cards or just one graphic card.

If you are running two graphic cards, any motherboard with nForce 680i SLI chipset will be good for you. For example,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131073

However, if you going to use only one graphic card, any motherboard with P35 chipset will do great for you. For example,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
(I'm not too sure about the difference between the DS3R and DS3L :p)

also, for the processor, core 2 duo will be great for your build. Something like e6750 probably.

Hope this helps. :)
Good Luck with your build.