i need hlep with my lan card

speshuled

one day my desktops ethernet card was working just fine than the next time i went back onto my desktop im getting that yellow triangle with the message little or no connectivity. i checked my router but it works fine. how can i fix this?

ed

Crimsonite

MAC = Media Access Control. It is a unique set of ID code that consists of letters and numbers, used to identify the NIC device/equipment. Each device has its own unique MAC address.

Most routers have an option for you to setup MAC Address Filter. To do this, you'll need to have the MAC address to each machine's NIC to inputting them into the router's MAC Address Filter. When enabled, the router can be set to allow or block the specified MAC addresses listed. This can protect your network and machines, as an intruder's computer will surely have a different MAC address and so he will not be able to access your network.

speshuled

MAC = Media Access Control. It is a unique set of ID code that consists of letters and numbers, used to identify the NIC device/equipment. Each device has its own unique MAC address.

Most routers have an option for you to setup MAC Address Filter. To do this, you'll need to have the MAC address to each machine's NIC to inputting them into the router's MAC Address Filter. When enabled, the router can be set to allow or block the specified MAC addresses listed. This can protect your network and machines, as an intruder's computer will surely have a different MAC address and so he will not be able to access your network.

wow. how would i go about this such a thing? i need to get my desktop up and running. besides my laptop its the only computer in the house for the whole family to use.

ed

Crimsonite

Access your router from the laptop and check if it has MAC Address Filter setup. If so, you'll need to enter your desktop's MAC in the router.

Crimsonite

Open a browser window on your laptop. At the "address bar", type in "http://192.168.0.1/" without the quotes and hit enter, then it should bring up the router's user interface.

Btw, what router do you have? Different routers have different interface designs. But anyhow, look under "Advanced Settings" or "Advanced Network" tab. Looking MAC Address Filter. If it IS in fact, set to enable to filter out MAC addresses that do not belong on the network, you'll have to obtain the desktop's MAC.

On your desktop, go Start-->Run, at the space type in "cmd" without the quotes to bring up Command Prompt. If you see a directory name like this: C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere>
Then at the end of that line type in "cd\" without the quotes, hit enter, it should leave you with a clean C:\, and then type "ipconfig /all" without quotes, hit enter. Look for the Ethernet Adapter Configuration section, and "Physical Address" is the MAC Address of that machine. Write it down and enter that into the MAC Address Filter page on your router's user interface. Save.

These are for, IF a MAC Address Filter is setup. If not, let me know and we'll try other things.

speshuled

Open a browser window on your laptop. At the "address bar", type in "http://192.168.0.1/" without the quotes and hit enter, then it should bring up the router's user interface.

Btw, what router do you have? Different routers have different interface designs. But anyhow, look under "Advanced Settings" or "Advanced Network" tab. Looking MAC Address Filter. If it IS in fact, set to enable to filter out MAC addresses that do not belong on the network, you'll have to obtain the desktop's MAC.

On your desktop, go Start-->Run, at the space type in "cmd" without the quotes to bring up Command Prompt. If you see a directory name like this: C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere>
Then at the end of that line type in "cd\" without the quotes, hit enter, it should leave you with a clean C:\, and then type "ipconfig /all" without quotes, hit enter. Look for the Ethernet Adapter Configuration section, and "Physical Address" is the MAC Address of that machine. Write it down and enter that into the MAC Address Filter page on your router's user interface. Save.

These are for, IF a MAC Address Filter is setup. If not, let me know and we'll try other things.

thank you sooo much for the info. ill get started and see where it takes me. would it be alright if i keep you posted and help me along the way?

ed

PohTayToez

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but did you try simply restarting the modem and router and repairing the connection?