I need major help with MS Word

AlexyLady

I need help with MS Word

I just spent the past two hours typing up the final touches on a preformance that I'm giving. This is a BIG THING for me.
I don't know what I did, but I was typing quickly and not looking at the keyboard (I rarely do anymore), and I hit a button that brought up a a window. I hit "yes" for something - I think- but I didn't see what, and suddenly all my work was GONE. I didn't even notice what I'd done until I'd already hit the pop up and thus could not stop whatever I did. I know there's a way to recover what I did (and I know I'm stupid for not saving, but it's 3 in the morning, give me me a small break here), but I don't know how.

Like an idiot, It didn't save it, and it closed out of the document. If it were as easy as CTRL+Z or bringing up the file, I wouldn't be asking for help, just to clarify.

Somebody please help me! :(

Last edited:

Sebouh

Well since you Haven't saved it then it is almost impossible since if you had, then you could have recovered it by the temp file created by word, Your only solution is using MagicRecovery Professional v3.2 which i dont know if it could help you but u should give it a shot. I think it might work if you haven't restarted pc yet after the closing of Word so that it could recover it from the memory.

Hellbreather

I would suggest looking for a program that will bring up all your Temp files and it may be in there if not. You never know you might get lucky enough to have it recovered by MS word.

narafa

Well, I think you might start the whole thing from the beginning and forget about recovery as it will take you time to look for a program and try and finally it might work or not, so you will be wasting time and might at the end, you might arrive at the same conclusion, which is starting from the beginning, so just start now and SAVE frequently :)

MS word has an auto save feature, turn it on and set it to autosave every 3-5 minutes as you like. If this feature is turned on, you will find the temp file, if it's not, forget it, there will be no temp file.

narafa

AlexyLady said:
My recovery autosave is set for every 10 minutes. Now I've just got to find that temp file.

Good that you found it and saved yourself a lot of google time :)

Sebouh

But if you havn't saved the file by clicking save then in what name will the autosave create a temp file???!?

Trizoy

VIP Member
It will be saved as somthing like $X3434.tmp, and it will be a hidden file. You will have to go into windows and enable viewing of hidden files. My temp files go in the same directory as where the original file was created. So if i ran the file from my desktop the temp file would be on the desktop too. To be able to see it open my documents, and go into the tools menu, then folder options, click the view tab.. and check the box that says "show hidden files and folders." Click ok of coarse... go to desktop and look there for the temp file. If not there look under the c:/ drive.. Hope it helps.