I need some help on my new build!

DaveSi677

New Member
Ok guys, I have sold all my computer except for my laptop at this point.

So comes time to build a new one...

Now couple of things you need to know:

1. I would prefer to use an AMD CPU
2. I need at least 6-8 GB of ram
3. PC will be used for VM server for me to practice on
4. I will use it also for gaming and entertainment (hooking it up to a TV)

What I need is basically suggestions on a motherboard, CPU, PSU, Ram and GPU.

I already have a case for it... the Antec 900 and I have a 1TB hard drive and dvd burner. Its mostly the other things I need some suggestions on!


Thanks alot guys!
 
^ That. We need some sort of price range.

And what the heck will you be doing that will use 8GB of RAM? I know VM's can use quite a bit, but geez...
 
CPU: AMD Athlon IIx4 620/ AMD Phenom IIx2 550/ AMD Phenom II x4 965

Mobo:
Single Card
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P/ ASUS M4A77TD/GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3
Crossfire
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5/ ASUS Crosshair III Formula
SLi
MSI NF980-G65

ram -G.SKILL Ripjaws Series are cheap

psu
single video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16817341017,N82E16817139004,N82E16817194059

Dual video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16817371024,N82E16817151083

Video card
GTS250/ 4850 < 5770/ GTX 260 < 5850 < 5870
 
^ That. We need some sort of price range.

And what the heck will you be doing that will use 8GB of RAM? I know VM's can use quite a bit, but geez...

I will be running server 2008, CentOS, server 2003 and windows xp and windows 7. I don't want to use my host windows 7 as a client to my virtual network!

Sorry guys I should of put a price range. My budget was about 800$ but that is only for the mobo, cpu, psu, ram and video card. The rest I have! I also don't mind if the budget goes over 800 as I am getting all these parts at cost price!

I just got my Antec 900 case for 90$.

Thanks again,
Dave
 
It's still not a better motherboard. For that price range, one with a 785G chipset is what you'd want.
 
I work for an IT company... I know my stuff I just wanted some opinions to see if maybe I could of found better parts instead of the ones I had thought about...

So ya if it 1000$, I am ok with that because I am getting it all at cost price which will much less then 1000$
 
Daisymtc's build looks pretty good...but think the mobo and PSU could be better. That psu isn't bad but if you ever plan to crossfire another 5850 you might want a bigger one. This would be great:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341003

As for the mobo, all of your other parts are high quality...seems like it'd be good to get a mobo to match You could go with a 785G or 790X/GX for <$110, but if you take the price of it up to ~$200, you can get a really good 790FX board. That's currently the best AMD chipset on the market. I'd recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

It allows for very high speeds on everything, so it will not limit you when overclocking. It can run crossfire at x16/x16, or triple at x8/x8/x8. Two dual cards in the x16 slots would equal a quad xfire setup.

It also has 8-channel audio, dual Gigabit LAN, and all the ports you could ever use. Has SATA 6GB/s and USB3.0 as well. Another big bonus is that it's a Gigabyte, which means it has DualBios. What that means is that it has a backup BIOS, so if you attempt to flash the BIOS and it fails, you can revert it to factory one and try again. Other mobos would be bricked if that happened. (most lower end gigabytes have this too, btw)


I know that pushes you over budget but the parts really are better.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top