I need some help picking a heatsink

superflysmith

I don't have to many to choose from considering I have the LGA775 socket but I was hoping for a little advise on what to get. Here are my choices ...
Thermaltake CL-P0024
Thermaltake Silent Tower Cooler
Thermaltake Tower 112
Gigabyte 3D Rocket Cooler Pro
Speeze Socket 775
If there are any more I have not come across them. I'm not worried about noise, I just want the heatsink that will cool the CPU down the most seeing that I'm idling at 61C.

ZER0X

VIP Member
The Gigabyte 3D Rocket Cooler Pro would be great
It's efficient, impressive and quiet. That's a triple in the heatsink game and Gigabyte's in a good position to steal home.

That thing will seriously keep your Temp Down ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The Tts there are very nice and very effective ... just make sure you (a) have room to mount them and (b) your mobo is solidly connected ot the case because they weigh a lot :)

If raw cooling is what you want, grab the Tower112 and use either a pair of Volcanos or a pair of Tornados :p

superflysmith

Well I just got my Tower 112, 2 tornado fans, and some artic silver 5 for good measure. It's fresh off the UPS truck. My GOODNESS!!! This thing is huge!!! Is my mobo gonna crack in half when I install this thing? I guess I'll find out this weekend. I don't dare put this in until I'm finished with my current project. But I can't wait to see what this will do for my temps. By the way the Gigabyte Rocket was my second choice, I chose the tower 112 because it's all copper.

Last edited:

superflysmith

Praetor said:
1. Check before you buy :p
2. Depends on how well your mobo is mounted
Yea, I'm definetly going to have to remount. Right now I'm using those plastic pieces of crap. I'm also thinking about drilling a couple holes in the top of my case to put in some other brackets and to relieve some of the weight off the mobo.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Just so you know, Socket462/478 coolers are spec'd to be a maximum of 450g :p Of course that gets breached all the time but still heehee

superflysmith

my little update

I finally installed my new heatsink last night. I've been very busy and out of town the last two weeks. This thing is great! I wasn't planning on oc but with the temps I was getting I figured 'why not'. I'm running at 29C and oc'd to 3.75 :) I had it oc'd to 4.08 (or something like that) it raised the temp to 35C but the computer was to unstable. My next step is to get some kind of fan control on those tornadoes.