I need to build a fast HD video editing machine..

Shredder111

New Member
Hello, forum! This is my first thread on here, so I just wanted to say hi:) I need your help! I recently purchased a full HD video camera for production purposes and my current system is having trouble handling these large files.The video is extremely choppy and my CPU is running at 100% for HD videos and about 85%-87% for better quality video.

If I add a couple of programs to this + an editing program, which by itself uses 2GB of RAM,minimum, I'm screwed and could even end up hanging myself in frustration:D I purchased 2GB of RAM to try and fix this, but unfortunately, that's all I can use on my current motherboard and it certainly didn't do the trick :D The videos are still choppy as ever, even with the current Intel Pentium 4 CPU, rated at 3.06 GHz/3.07 GHz, and S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR. I use Microsoft Windows XP Pro (2002).

If you forum members need any more hardware/software info, please let me know and I'll get back to you soon:)

What's the best way I can upgrade my current system on a budget of about 100-200 dollars, so that I can at least work a little bit? If I had the dough, I would get the Apple Mac Pro or build something similar. Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely, Shredder111:cool:
 
We need to know the make and model of your computer if it was store bought. If not, then we need all of your hardware specs - especially PSU and Motherboard.

Also, take a look at my slow computer rant and see if that doesn't increase your performance:

deanj20 Slow Computer Rant said:
The first thing I would do is completely uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. It's a major resource hog. Follow the steps in this post, and we'll replace it with something equally effective and less demanding.

Next, run Malwarebyte's Antimalware in Safe Mode with Networking and remove anything it finds.

After that, download and install Piriform CCleaner. Run the program, and on the left hand side select Registry. Scan and Fix Issues. Continue scanning for/repairing issues until it doesn't find anymore.

Then, if you're like 90% of Windows users, you probably have a ton of extra programs starting up automatically when Windows starts up. You can disable unneeded processes from starting up by doing the following:
Go to Start-->Run-->type in 'msconfig' and hit <enter>

In the Startup tab, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Then, in the Services tab, check Hide All Microsoft
Services
, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Restart the computer.

Next, download and run the executable for TrendMicro HijackThis!.
Press the button labeled "Open the Misc Tools Section". Then check both the check boxes next to the "Generate StartupList Log" button and click the button. Click the button to generate the list, save it and upload it as an attachment to your next post, and I or some other forum member will advise you on what else to disable, if anything.
Then run HijackThis! in normal mode and post your scan log here and we'll see if there's anything else that needs to be looked at.

Finally, you can install a free anti-virus to help keep you protected (these aren't nearly as taxing on your memory as Norton). I prefer AVG Free Edition, but I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well. Avira AntiVir and Avast! are two more options. Please install one of these programs to help keep you virus free.

After you've done all of these things, please wait until the computer is idle (no programs loading/scanning/etc), and hit ctrl+alt+delete and make note of your CPU usage at the bottom of the popup window.

On your next post, please include both the HijackThis! Logs I've requested, your idle CPU usage, any steps you left out, the make/model of your computer, and let us know how your it is running now.

Good Luck! :D
 
That CPU is just too dated for HD videos. I've tried running HD videos on similar processors and it simply can't keep up. No amount of RAM is going to help that. A better video card with some supported accelerations (assuming your camera uses MPEG4) might help with playback, but trying to edit will just kill it. What you really need is a new computer. I'm running an i7 920 at 3.33GHz and it still skips around now and then while I try to edit in Adobe Premiere.
 
Eh, maybe a video card and some ram? Frankly there isn't too much you can do to that system. P4's are just too outdated for HD stuff.
 
Processing high quality HD videos requires a sturdy multi-core processor. Look to take advantage of Intel's Hyperthreading technology, this helps with encoding, decoding, and other CPU-intensive activities. It improves performance compared to processors without HT... Look towards the upper range of the Core 2 Quad processors with HT, or if you've got the cash, maybe upper end i-cores.
 
Back
Top