I Need To Replace My Cpu Heatsink - How?

Pauly73Drifter

Hi guys,
This is the problem: The other day I took out my CPU Heatsink to clean it and when I put it back in I bent a few pins. I then straightened them and put it back. To realise my screen shows no picture. So considering before I cleaned it everything was fine and now it doesn't work so I am asusming this is the problem. I was told even if I bent them back straight it wouldn't work.

So, I now need a new one.

What do I buy? The heatsink and the chip on the back? Or can I buy just the chip with pins on it and re paste it to my old heatsink?

Are there pin/chips specifically made for every motherboard or are most similar? My board is a GigaByte GA-8IPE1000 Pro 2 so therefore what do I need?

Should I bring the tower into a shop so they can see what I need?

Cheers, any help what so ever is highly appreciated

PC eye

banned
The "chip" you are referring to is the actual processor! Once you bent the pins on that you most likely ruined it. When removing the heat sink/ fan combination generally you have to pull up on the release lever to see that come out however.

The cpu(central processing unit) would be a Socket 478 Pentium 4 for that model board. Each socket type sees a number of different models with different clock speeds. This is what will likely need to be replaced. The specifications for that model board are seen at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1689&ProductName=GA-8IPE1000%20Pro

Archangel

VIP Member
the 'chip with the pins' isnt actually glued to the heatsink. maybe it sticks too it because the thermal pad is quite old already. (the thing with the pin's is/was your processor btw)

anyways, what you need is a Socket 478 Pentium 4 processor (if the one you have is really broken. check if all the pins are perfectly straight etc, maybe it'll work after ^^ )

lovely?

i've never had a processor break from bending pins, but then again i've never screwed with a pentium 4 either, just my AMD.

something i usually have to do when i take off the heatsink for my processor is heat up the heatsink with a blowdrier so that it cleanly and safely comes off of the processor without pulling on it too much.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
i've never had a processor break from bending pins, but then again i've never screwed with a pentium 4 either, just my AMD.

something i usually have to do when i take off the heatsink for my processor is heat up the heatsink with a blowdrier so that it cleanly and safely comes off of the processor without pulling on it too much.

Considering the size of the pins, it'd be quite easy to break.

Pentium 4's aren't worth replacing. I'd recommend upgrading, but that's just IMO.

camel lips

Considering the size of the pins, it'd be quite easy to break.

Pentium 4's aren't worth replacing. I'd recommend upgrading, but that's just IMO.

Depending on the speed of it,,It could cost upwards of $100 bucks for a new CPU pentium 4.

Your best bet is bite the bullet and get a new CPU and while your at it get a new mother board.Consider it a upgrade instead of breakdown.It will make you feel better.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Depending on the speed of it,,It could cost upwards of $100 bucks for a new CPU pentium 4.

Your best bet is bite the bullet and get a new CPU and while your at it get a new mother board.Consider it a upgrade instead of breakdown.It will make you feel better.

You could get a AMD Dual core for $50 and a E1200 for $60. And their better and faster and more future proof...

But you'll need a new motherboard with that.

dougland

Make sure someone tells him how to apply thermal paste. i saw a post earlier htis week and a guy applied a HUGE line down the center i meen huge and all you really need is a grain of rice sized dot. but i guess it depends on the processor

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The images here are for AMD models that clearly show how AS-5 is applied as well as how all those thin and delicate pins look even for Intel models. Before spreading a paste like AS-5 evenly across the heat shield seen there one advice to stir it up somewhat to see the silver particles even distributed when going to spread the paste.

Artic Silver 5 on an AMD model cpu

How contact pins appear on the underside of an AMD model cpu

dougland

I read on Artic silver's website that with certain ones you don't want to spread it and you jsut want to put the heatsink on and turn it a little to break up any air bubles in it. I heard very few do you actually want to spread it, only on the heatsink do you spread it but on the CPU you leave it and then put the heatsink on the processor

PC eye

banned
Often I simply applied a certain amount and it would spread pretty well without fuss when the hsf was pressed down inplace. That would see it appear a little at the very edges since it simply filled in the gap.

One article seen advises stirring while applying the small amount used until a circle the size of a rasin is seen in order to see the hest conduction begin sooner with the particles evenly mixed. I still haven't been able to relocate that specific one again however found during a search on applying AS-5.

But someone did post a video clip at youtube showing one method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xekr6eQL62U