I need to stop my brother from using all the bandwidth/downloads

linkin

VIP Member
He is downloading all kinds of crap with torrents. and with only 25gb a month it hurts.

I've typed 10.0.0.138 into firefox which brings up my routers configuration page. from their i disable the wireless which is what he uses. problem is he can type 10.0.0.138 and re enable it, he also put a password on it which i removed. :cool:

For now he is downloading whatever he wants, but there has to be some program or firewall or something i can use to stop it right? I also don't want him to go overboard as to get noticed by our ISP for pirating...

What can i do? He seriously does not listen. in one ear and out the other.

Candy

Can't you just disable the wireless and change the password on the router?
Or just block the sites he downloads from in the routers settings, although that could be a bit tedious.

linkin

VIP Member
If i change the password, he can just go look on the router for the default password and reset it to something of his own. thats how i disables his password.

Is there any way to block a specific programs or programs? i know that if i block one torrent program he will get another.

Candy

You can stop programs from accessing the internet with the firewall, but it would be easy for him to just change it back as its not password protected. I think if you gave his account limited access he can't change it back though? Not sure as I've never done it. There may be 3rd party firewalls you can get that are password protected.

schw32m

If i change the password, he can just go look on the router for the default password and reset it to something of his own. thats how i disables his password.

Is there any way to block a specific programs or programs? i know that if i block one torrent program he will get another.

He should not be able to hack the admin password once you have changed it. You can also change the WPA key and keep him off that way. You should also be able to restrict time, duration, http, keywords, policy, services and so forth.

Don't know type of router you have, but on mine I can enable logging which will tell you where he is going.

Essentially until you figure out how to keep him from hacking or changing the admin password once you have changed it yourself all of the above will be pointless..

The other way is to set a PC as a proxy or access controller.. IE, instead of having your setup go like this:

PCs ----> Router ----> Internet

You would need to change to:

PCs ----> Router ----> Proxy or access PC ----> Internet

So even though he may be able to get onto the router he still would have to go through a log on operation to get access to the net.

linkin

VIP Member
2 different computers, i just keep him out of my one...

He's really #$@^ing annoying me now.

Guess i'll change the WAP2 passkey.

linkin

VIP Member
no luck. stupid router lets you reset everything. is there any way i can change the default ip for the routers configuration? as in can i change it from 10.0.0.138 to something like 11.2.3.4.138

WeatherMan

no luck. stupid router lets you reset everything. is there any way i can change the default ip for the routers configuration? as in can i change it from 10.0.0.138 to something like 11.2.3.4.138

Pretty pointless..... If you did that he can still just manually reset the router like he usually does, which would again change the gateway back to default.

There are 3rd party firewalls out there that are password protected, but it'd have to be installed onto his computer for it to work, unless you're willing to pay for a suite that will let you do this remotely, I'm not clued up on that though..

WeatherMan

How old is your brother btw?

I'm not clued up on programs that will remotely block ports over the network, but I know there are a few around that will limit bandwidth to other computers.

Maybe you could do that?

linkin

VIP Member
he's 13. that should explain everything :p

It's REALLY annoying now becuase he left 800mb of downloads to try and stay under, otherwise we get capped speeds. 64kbps each way which is kind of worse than dial up. in 9 days the usage will reset and i might just break his usb wifi stick.

Aastii

VIP Member
make an anonymous report to the police about an internet pirate in your house, that will make him get rid of the stuff off his system AND teach him a good lesson about breaking the law :)

Or, just tell your parents. If they don't know about computers, just say to them "it is illegal and if you don't stop him, I will use my moral goodness and tell the authorities" :D:D

tlarkin

VIP Member
A flying dragon kick to his head might clear things up. Physically access trumps all security. He can reset the router if he can get to it physically and there is no security you can put forth to stop that. Unless you want to put the router in a booby trapped room, surrounded by spikes and traps over a snake pit filled with black mambas.

Even if you set up throttling or QoS a router reset would bypass all of that.

russb

How about you take the mouse with you,or can you lock it away.I know you said he needs to do his homework on it but let him do it when you are there.

Jet

VIP Member
Buy a safe and put the router in it. The main issue would be getting the cables out of the safe, but you should be able to do it somehow.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Alternate option: Move? ;)

The suggestion about reporting him is entertaining and a viable threat considering that your parents would be the ones fined or sent to prison if they are the account holders. Or, are you the one paying for the service?

I second the physical access suggestion by Tlarkin. The mamba guards are also an eloquent touch. Can't go wrong with a snake pit.