I really messed up this time.

Advent

So, while clearing out bits and pieces from an old windows partition on my computer, I accidentally deleted the MBR. I hadn't realised that that windows partition had it on it, and so was then unable to boot up windows(Ubuntu worked just fine at this point). So, from there, I used my windows disk to try and repair it by typing 'fixmbr'. Unfortunately, this not only did not work, it also deleted grub.

Now, when I boot up using the Ubuntu CD, and check the partitions in the partition editor, it tells me that I only have 700GB of unallocated space(My entire drive). Is that it? Has everything somehow magically deleted itself?

!!!Daniel!!!

Hmm looks like you have yourself a toughy. I dont always trust Ubuntu with that stuff, just because it tells you that you have nothing on your drive, doestn mean everything has disappeared, thats just Ubuntu being stupid, if a repair doesnt work, you may have no other option but to re-install windows. unless may'be try and find another boot CD that will let you get into your drive and is seeing all of your stuff, back it up, and re-install

Irishwhistle

ONLY 700GB? How big is your drive? If you can't mount the drive you may have to zero-fill it... unfortunately that would definitely get rid of any hope of retrieving your files. If you have a 1TB HD or something like that there's a possibility that the partition just isn't showing up in gparted for some reason.

Advent

No, my drive is just 750GB. 700GB is the amount it shows when it is empty. However, I managed to use testdisk to retrieve my windows partition(It really was deleted), and everything on it. I still can't boot into it however, it says 'NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart'. Any way to fix that, or am I resigned to breaking out my dvds and burning all my data to them by using the livecd?

gamerman4

well considering you managed to delete the MBR, NTLDR is probably not the only thing missing so a reinstallation of Windows would be best.

Advent

No, I deleted my old version of windows. I have a new one which should work fine, (All the files of everything are there) except I can't boot it.

Death By Bass

umm, why would anyone want to shoot themself in the foot twice by having two versions of windows?

anyway, if the drive appears as a single block of unallocated space, then thats probably what it is.

what happens if you boot "live CD" or whatever? are all the partitions and files still there?

Dystopia

Couldn't it be that the other 50MB are not really there? For example: I have an 80GB HDD. My comuter claims its actaully 75GB. My brother has a 160GB HDD, but only like 140GB(i think) shows up. Could this be the deal with his/her HDD?