I really need help with laptop drivers

bm23

I bought an Asus G56JR laptop today which comes with win 8.1, which IMO, is the worst OS to ever happen. The laptop has no win 7 support but I went ahead to reformat and installed win 7 anyway (the process was a b*tch in itself). I figured, if I could find out the make and model of each individual component, I could download the win 7 drivers individually. I've got a couple of questions.

-How do I find the exact model of each component? I've downloaded PC Wizard though it doesn't seem to contain a lot of info with regard to the model.
-Which driver do I need to make the Fn key work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you can do is after installing windows 7 is give me the following details for each entry still needing a driver.

Right click on each entry in device manager that still needs a driver and click on properties, then click on the details tab, then give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers. They will look like this.

ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy where x and y are 4 alphanumerical digits.

ezefosure

In hindsight, it would have been easier to find the exact model of the internal components prior to reformatting. I've recently found out the hard way. =/

To johnb35 - what do you do w/ the vendor and id number after you get them? And do you have a suggestion on where/how to get the drivers needed after?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In hindsight, it would have been easier to find the exact model of the internal components prior to reformatting. I've recently found out the hard way. =/

To johnb35 - what do you do w/ the vendor and id number after you get them? And do you have a suggestion on where/how to get the drivers needed after?

I use this website to figure out the exact hardware.

www.pcidatabase.com

By the way there are some drivers like the chipset that you can't tell from the device manager so the vendor and device id's work great.

bm23

Sorry for the late reply. I had to revert to windows 8 because I needed to do some work on the laptop right away. I'll post the details of the hardware when I buy a new drive for the laptop and install windows 7 on it. I'll of course take note of the details before changing the drive.

Last edited: