I spilled coke in my laptop.

I spilled about a third of a cup of coke onto the keyboard section of my laptop about two days ago. It shut off moments after I spilled the coke and since then, it has randomly been turning on every once and a while. Pressing the power button won't turn it on. Last night, it turned on, and launched into Safe Mode, but the keyboard and mouse pad were pretty much useless. Now it won't turn on at all. Is it gone for good?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Some advice for the future. Anytime you spill liquid on a computer, DON'T USE IT! Remove the battery and let it dry out. Liquids don't hard electronics, but shorts do.

From the sounds of it, you probably shorted it out and it's no good... I would suggest trying to remove the keyboard and touch pad to see if you have any luck then, but if it does nothing, I suspect something shorted out inside and it's a goner.

soundsystem00

my friend spilled water all over my laptop keyboard. it worked at first and he assured me its ok. a couple hours later it was shot and i had to return it. luckily it was still in warranty

kof2000

take the laptop apart and blow dry it from afar. there a chance it will survive if it still turns on but dont turn it on until you dried it.

Lax

VIP Member
Coke == dead
Water == salvageable

The sugar in the coke will
1. Corrode the connections inside the laptop
2. Will tie together the connections (cause it's a conductor) and short the laptop.

Water is a different matter, it's conductive, but not corrosive (quickly anyway), so if you have the laptop off when you spill water on it, you can dry it out and have a chance to save it. So as it stands I'd say you're SOL with your laptop ever working again. (best thing you can try if you REALLY felt attached to the laptop would be to replace the keyboard, touchpad, and everything else the coke touched)

P.s. if you really wanna try and save it take it all apart, and put the motherboard in a bowl of distilled water for about 20 minutes, then bake at lowest temp possible until dry. The water will get into the nooks and crannies of the board and might clean out the coke, baking it will fully remove all the water and hopefully will slow/stop the rust process. (mind you this is a last ditch effort)

Last edited: