I think I have a problem with my router

dmehling

My wireless Netgear router seems to be having issues. I have a laptop about a foot away from the router, and the connection seems somewhat slow. Sometimes for a few seconds it almost seems as if there is no connection, although there's no sign of a problem just by looking at the network icon in the notification tray. There's another laptop in a room about 50 feet away and seems to totally lose its connection at least twice a day. However, when using my desktop which uses an ethernet cable, there seems to be no connectivity issues. How would I go about diagnosing any potential problems with my router or network?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So it only happens with a wireless connection? You may have interferrence from another electronic device or its possible the wireless is going out on the router. Try a different one.

jspears80

Yeah what john said. One way to try and work around interference is changing the channel (frequency) of the wireless. If your router is next to a microwave, satelitte box, lots of power lines, fluorescents, etc you will definitely get some interference.

Although, if you change the channel the wireless runs on and you dont get any improvement the wireless probably is just going out.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I have a couple Netgear wireless routers and I find i have to reset the power on them every so often.

Particularly if there is a lot of data flowing through the router, it can overheat; and if you do a quick search, you will find some fan hacks out there for Netgear routers.