I think I screwed up...please help

fmonte

Maybe it is a coincidence but about 2 weeks ago I received some help over the phone on my computer and shared my screen with the tech using TeamViewer. I did not know the guy. I saw his business listing on Facebook Marketplace. Yesterday, I was reviewing my bank account and there was a deposit for $.87 and another one for $.44 on Thursday and a $4500 and $5000 withdrawal on Friday. Plus I was contacted by mail from another bank saying they could not issue me a credit card (that I never applied for). Is it possible he accessed all of my personal and financial information while he was helping me. Also, I use Roboform password manager. Is that a secure way to save your usernames and passwords? If not can you suggest something better. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Frank

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If those deposits and withdrawals are true then yes, thats where you got hacked from. Never let anyone remote into your computer unless you specifically know them. This happens all too often. Password manager isn't for the people hacking your computer, its for you only. Hackers have their own means to get your login information. Hopefully you have called your bank and told them you were scammed.

fmonte

Thank you so much John for the quick reply. This is my business desktop so I have folders with other peoples personal and financial information. I keep the file folders in Paperport software. Does he have all their information also? Thanks again.

fmonte

So what would you do if you were me? Do I contact all my clients and tell them I got hacked? What do I say to them? Also, can he access anything new that I put into this computer? Do I have to get a new computer for my business? On a separate note, other than my stupidity to screen share with a total stranger, is there something I could have done to prevent this from happening. Any advise will be sincerely appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does he have all their information also?
Who knows what other information was stolen.

My advice would be to backup your data and wipe the drive and reinstall windows, then put the data back. I would definitely contact your clients and let them know what happened so they can be on the lookout.

fmonte

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to go to Best Buy and have them do the reformat and reinstall that takes 24 hours to complete. What'd I need to know is if a computer gets hacked doesn't the hacker take all of the information all at once. In other words, right now he has everything he wants and he has all the information about myself and any of my clients so if I don't add anything new on the computer why would he want to come back in again? The reason I'm asking this is because I do have to do some work today that can't be put off but at the same time I don't want to give him another opportunity. Please explain.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's very possible that he has put in a back door to your system so he can access it without your knowledge. Your system has been compromised to the point you don't know what has been done. You do whatever you have to do but you need to get that system wiped and reinstalled ASAP.

fmonte

Okay will do. Going forward, when I reinstall existing files on a clean hd, is there anything I can do to protect mine and my clients personal and financial information. In other words, I am not going to be stupid enough to use Teamviewer again with a stranger but isn't there other ways for me to be hacked? I hear this term "encryption" a lot but don't understand it. If not encryption, then is there something else you can recommend to protect my files in the future. Thanks again. Frank

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly a good firewall if you don't already have that included with your antivirus program.

fmonte

I have been using Avast free antivirus. Would this software be sufficient? I don't know if it includes a firewall. Please advise. Thank you.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
The two small deposits were tests to make sure the account was real. That should have been an immediate red flag. Absolutely call everyone who had given their inormation to you asap - like today. Keeping them in the dark can potentially open you up to legal action being taken. Do not under any circumstances go online with that computer until it's completely wiped.

fmonte

I created a Paperport folder in the documents folder and would keep the client folder in there. When you say do not go online you mean I can use the computer, just disconnect the internet right?

fmonte

One final question, are you saying there is absolutely no way to tell if my computer has been hacked versus this individual getting my information out of my USPS mailbox or some other way?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its because you let some random person on FB marketplace access to your pc and he did the damage. If he actually had your bank statement in front of him then he wouldn't have to make test deposits. If you disconnect from the internet then he can't access the pc.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont know if its been said, no telling what all he has copied. Change every password you have had since you have been 5.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
One final question, are you saying there is absolutely no way to tell if my computer has been hacked versus this individual getting my information out of my USPS mailbox or some other way?

Excellent point, John, I guess I was still hoping.

To be clear: You. Have. Been. Hacked.

Stop screwing around with "what if..." and "could it be..." and start taking this seriously. Inform everyone that you had financial information from that you have been hacked and suggest they change any any all passwords for any and all accounts they had given you access to. Do that NOW.