I thought agp was better

mgoldb2

VIP Member
oh ok I did not know that. when I researched video cards for my new computer I mostly studied the higer end stuff. Last time I looked at the lower end stuff was like 2 years ago.

Jackson_T

Ok I am going t o get the 6600gt. Just want to make sure that it will work in my 4x agp slot.

Also what 6600gt do you think I should get?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to see any 6600GTs that really strays from the reference design from Nvidia (well there was one Gigabyte model with dual GPUs). BFG seems to be most peoples company of choice for Nvidia cards. Not going in for that branding crap myself, I'd say find the cheapest one, you wont get much of a bundle but the card itself should perform well.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to see any 6600GTs that really strays from the reference design from Nvidia
I could be confusing the AGP/PCIe models but the PCIe 6600GT by BFG uses a different HSF ... i think the MSI one does as well.

Regarding the BFG 66GTs, it seems like the PCIe cooler would be more effective although ive not used either of them. I did have a chance to play with the BFG6800GT which was a superb card ... about $30 more than other models ...prolly not worth that premium but still a solid card.

Also note that you should be looking for the 6600GT in AGP flavor (it will be the more expensive of the 6600GTs)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL yes yes indeed i am trying to tell you that :p (the importance of the different cooler is that the circle-coolers seem to be less prone to the wobble that the reference coolers have as they were designed more so for 2plug attaching) ;)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
it may affect cooling performance but it is a minor variation. it isn't likely to affect the performance of the card itself

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
that link doesn't work for me, but I assume it is some GF6600GT AGP8x model? All 6600GT AGP models are supposed to be backwards compatible with AGP4x

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used an EVGA before but one of my friends has and he said that it was a great card

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The 6600GT-AGPs are 4X compatable providedt he mobo supports it. As for XFX/eVga ,... it should be readily apparanet that theres not very much difference ... go for the cheaper! :)