I took the plunge. What other accessories I may need?

ssal

Thanks for everyone's suggestion and contribution. I have just placed order for the following items:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4)
Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
DVI-D VGA Adapter
HDMI VGA Adapter

What do I need to get ready to start my first assembling? I have some cpu heat compound which I will use with the heatsink/fan on the CPU. I have not ordered any additional fans because I don't know if video editing or encoding would require any additional fans.

What else I need to have ready?

Darren

Staff member
Zipties or Velcro straps

Maybe ditch VGA too if your monitors have digital connections, there is an actual quality difference and it's not 2003 anymore.

_Kyle_

A nice big work-space is also suggested. Touch something metal that is grounded before you start building too, just to get rid of any static electricity in your body.

You probably shouldn't need any more fans but if you notice temps are a bit high they're easy to add in later.

ssal

I see that there is an I/O plate that has HDMI, VGA, DVI-D in there. The GeForce GPU Card also has DVI-D, HDMI and DP too.

Where do I plug my monitor? The port from the motherboard, or the ones in the GPU?

_Kyle_

I see that there is an I/O plate that has HDMI, VGA, DVI-D in there. The GeForce GPU Card also has DVI-D, HDMI and DP too.

Where do I plug my monitor? The port from the motherboard, or the ones in the GPU?

Plug your monitor into the GPU slots.

_Kyle_

What are the MBO slots for? Do they work?
That would be if your were using an APU, which is a CPU with an integrated GPU onboard. They would work if your CPU had integrated graphics, but it doesn't. Besides, you would want to use the GPU slots regardless anyways, since integrated graphics are usually crappy compared to a dedicated GPU (given that the GPU is up to date).

ssal

Trying to clarify . . .

After I finish the physical built, I'll plug in the USB mouse and keyboard . . .

1. Do I boot from the Windows 10 installation USB and install Windows 10? When I boot up from the installation USB, would I be able to connect to the internet via the LAN connection? I do need internet to install Windows 10, right?

(I do have the OS on a USB stick. If I don't have the internet, I can install Windows from the USB, right?)

2. When do I download the drivers? Again, I'd need internet to download. So is it something right after the Windows setup?

3. Is there any reason that I don't see DVD roam too often in most builts?

ssal

Zipties or Velcro straps

Maybe ditch VGA too if your monitors have digital connections, there is an actual quality difference and it's not 2003 anymore.
I have two older 1920x1080 LCD monitors that I plan on using for now. Maybe a 4K monitor/tv down the road.
If I hook one monitor thru the HDMI/VGA and another thru the DVI-D/VGA into the GPU, I should be able to drive the two monitors simultaneously, right?

Darren

Staff member
Yeah it's just ideally I'd suggest buying a new set of cables for digital if the monitors have any other inputs apart from VGA as your new GPU certainly will. You can get ghosting, and sometimes weird color issues if you get bent pins with VGA.

To install Windows itself you need no Internet. To get drivers just connect to the internet and it should take care of them basically all. Windows update takes care of this. Ideally I'd just install Windows, hook it to the internet, then leave it alone for a couple hours while it updates and needs to go thru a few restarts. Then start installing/moving your stuff after it runs out of updates to do. It'll likely be missing drivers on initial install but take care of them thru the update on its own.

It comes prepackaged with Internet/LAN drivers for most modern hardware, so it should work basically out of the gate. Likely will update it once it has internet, but works. I'd still go back thru and manually install your BIOS/chipset, GPU, and sound drivers. It usually does a pretty good job but for my own sanity I do it myself.

ssal

I should have all items needed to start the assembling by Monday afternoon. I am going to take my time. Do it right and enjoy the process.

Thank you very much for the advises.

Krieger

Thanks for everyone's suggestion and contribution. I have just placed order for the following items:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4)
Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
DVI-D VGA Adapter
HDMI VGA Adapter

What do I need to get ready to start my first assembling? I have some cpu heat compound which I will use with the heatsink/fan on the CPU. I have not ordered any additional fans because I don't know if video editing or encoding would require any additional fans.

What else I need to have ready?
You may want to consider trying out DisplayPort. I hear DisplayPort is better than both HDMI & VGA. Not allot of mass market manufacturers typically use it though unfortunately. It can apparently upscale displays up to 4K resolution even though a monitor with DisplayPort my not be 4K. I'm only using HDMI to VGA for my new laptop since it doesn't have DisplayPort but I am considering DisplayPort for my next gaming desktop build.

jevery

I may be wrong but I think it's still recommended to have HDD unhooked when installing windows to SSD. Seems like windows wants to put some startup files on the HDD for some reason if the BIOS sees it on startup. I've always run all my cables like normal when assembling then pulled the power plug on the HDD before installing windows. After it is booting normally off the SSD then I plug it back in.

AlienMenace

I may be wrong but I think it's still recommended to have HDD unhooked when installing Windows to SSD. Seems like windows wants to put some startup files on the HDD for some reason if the BIOS sees it on startup. I've always run all my cables like normal when assembling then pulled the power plug on the HDD before installing windows. After it is booting normally off the SSD then I plug it back in.

You're right, only the SSD is to be connected first when loading windows. After loading windows and updated. Then you connect your Hard drive to the system and partition it and format it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I may be wrong but I think it's still recommended to have HDD unhooked when installing windows to SSD. Seems like windows wants to put some startup files on the HDD for some reason if the BIOS sees it on startup. I've always run all my cables like normal when assembling then pulled the power plug on the HDD before installing windows. After it is booting normally off the SSD then I plug it back in.
That's usually if you plugged your HDD to the #1 SATA port or the lowest #'d SATA port on the mobo (some mobos start their numbering at 0).

However, for what it's worth, only plugging the SSD in at OS installation does no harm and is a pretty bulletproof method of ensuring where the boot manager gets written onto.

ssal

I got home from a weekend trip this PM and found all the necessary components delivered. The DVD and the DVI-D/VGA adapter are not here yet, but it is not a show stopper.

I spent half an hour opening the boxes and organized the items on the dinning room table. Pour myself an ice tea and got to work at around 5:00pm. Surprising, by 6:30pm, I am done even with the cables well bundled.

You guys' advises plus a couple of the YouTube tutorials really helped. The only hard part was fingering out the + and ground on the panel LED/Power/Reset.

The chasis fan cable has only 3 holes in the terminal while the all the fan slots have 4 pins. I plugged it in with one pin outside. Hope it is not a problem.

I am going to wait till tomorrow to start the installation of the OS.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The only hard part was fingering out the + and ground on the panel LED/Power/Reset.
Good thing about the switches is they don't matter + or -. And for the LEDs, if they don't light up, are backwards :)
The chasis fan cable has only 3 holes in the terminal while the all the fan slots have 4 pins. I plugged it in with one pin outside. Hope it is not a problem.
It's fine.

ssal

I just want to tell you guys how happy I am with the new built. Everything works the way it should. My video editing is fun again.

I have two monitors hooked up, one for the video playback and one on the side for all the cluttered menu, and panels. I have a pair of speaker with subwoofer left from generations ago (it was a Dell high end DVD 20 years ago). Now I can listen to iTune and YouTube with stereo sound.

The editing is smooth with no hesitation. All the effect would display. And, the best of all, rendering takes 4 minutes on a 3 minute 4K video which took 1-2 hours on my laptop.

It's a worthwhile $1,200 investment. I guess I will keep it for a long time. Maybe some time down the road, the current more expensive and faster CPU and GPU will come on the 2nd hand market. Then I may consider upgrading.

Want to thank you all for the guidance.