I using 99% CPU and 90% memory bad?

irishluck

Im just curious but is it bad to use that much CPU and memory?

I mainly do video editing, and its not alot of editing honestly. Just go through some clips I have recorded, snip out what I like and put them together with music. Its when I export the video im using 99% CPU and 90% memory.
Is that a bad thing?

Im using an AMD FX-8320E 8-core with 12gb of memory.

dgrevillius

Depends on your definition of "bad". Is your computer sluggish during this time? Could be poorly coded software as well.

Darren

Staff member
Nope, that's exactly what it should be doing while your doing the encoding/exporting. Otherwise it'll just be going slower. Now if it was doing this all the time regardless of usage you'd have a problem but during actual encoding that's how it should be.

irishluck

Well let me ask you guys this too. I thought this processor was pretty good for being an 8 core. So i can watch my 4k and 5.2k resolution videos no problem with a media player.
But when I do upload the clip into adobe premiere, it is veeeeeery sluggish. Just trying to watch a 30 second clip in the software is sluggish. The program is what Im referring too. It skips like every 5 seconds. Once i export it, the video is perfect though.
Rest of the computer is fine though and runs fine.

Darren

Staff member
It's a nearly 5 year old chip at this point. I had an 8320 and they were good workstation chips at launch (and for a few years after that), but you'd see big gains going with a new Ryzen system or higher core count Intel.

AlienMenace

I have a 8320 in my computer also. But alas, me have no money to do a new build, especially with the GPU and Memory prices the way they are. Maybe next winter I will take a look. My eyes is on the
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core.

ssal

Im just curious but is it bad to use that much CPU and memory?

I mainly do video editing, and its not alot of editing honestly. Just go through some clips I have recorded, snip out what I like and put them together with music. Its when I export the video im using 99% CPU and 90% memory.
Is that a bad thing?

Im using an AMD FX-8320E 8-core with 12gb of memory.
I do a lot of video editing. I run the latest version on Premiere Pro CC 2018.
I use a couple of 4-5 year old laptops. They are both i7 3rd generation QM series. I have 12 gb of DRAM on both also.

When editing 4K videos, I set the playback resolution on both the timeline playback and the source panels to 1/8. It is not flying through, but good enough to edit relatively efficiently. On a larger project, I ingest the videos and edit them in 480 or 720 resolution. It works well.

When output/encoding in Media Encoder, it uses 100% of the CPU, and around 8gb out of 12gb of memory. The fan runs full blast blowing a lot of hot air. A 30 minute video could take 3-4 hours to encode. I usually set the machine going before I go to bed. I plug a small USB powered fan and put it under the air intake of the computer to make sure it pushes all the heat outside. So far, it is working.

I don't see anything wrong with it unless I have money burning holes in my pocket and I will buy some super dopper high power gaming machine to do the job.

Darren

Staff member
I do a lot of video editing. I run the latest version on Premiere Pro CC 2018.
I use a couple of 4-5 year old laptops. They are both i7 3rd generation QM series. I have 12 gb of DRAM on both also.

When editing 4K videos, I set the playback resolution on both the timeline playback and the source panels to 1/8. It is not flying through, but good enough to edit relatively efficiently. On a larger project, I ingest the videos and edit them in 480 or 720 resolution. It works well.

When output/encoding in Media Encoder, it uses 100% of the CPU, and around 8gb out of 12gb of memory. The fan runs full blast blowing a lot of hot air. A 30 minute video could take 3-4 hours to encode. I usually set the machine going before I go to bed. I plug a small USB powered fan and put it under the air intake of the computer to make sure it pushes all the heat outside. So far, it is working.

I don't see anything wrong with it unless I have money burning holes in my pocket and I will buy some super dopper high power gaming machine to do the job.
Just so you know, doing encoding like that regularly on a laptop is really going to wear it down quickly and you're definitely shortening its lifespan. Whether or not it'll die I obviously can't say, but ideally you want a desktop for that purpose. The fan is a good idea though and definitely helps.

ssal

The vulnerbility is the fan. The motherboard, CPU and ram are the same as in desktop going thru the same torture. It is not that difficult to replace the fan although I don't look forward to it.