I want a new OS...

Fritzjavel

I Like XP don't get me wrong, but i like new expirience... i've tried MACS and i still don't like them, so now i'm wondering, Ubuntu, and Linux.... which one is better.. .and i have about 4gig Free on my HD, but i can get 6gig free easily... im only 16(tomorrow my B-day), so i don't i have money for a new HD, but which one should i try, I have a GeForce 6200 if that helps, and a AMD Sempron at 1.9ghz if thoose are any help. Thank You...

brian

VIP Member
ubuntu is a distro of linux. Ubuntu is a good starter os in the linux world. others are fedora, gos, knoppix, and many others. but it really depends on the users. i love fedora, many oters like ubuntu. there is not "better one"

brian

VIP Member
its hard to say. ubuntu is found to be easy to install stuff and good for beginers fedora has a lot of stuff you can install off the bad and is very versitile. its really hard to say what the difference is tho

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
This guy wants to experience something *NEW*. Even though Vista looks different and prettier than XP, it's still Windows, and "trying" it won't be much of a new experience (and many people find it rather painful one), plus you'd still have to buy it and if you don't like it...too bad, you've just wasted your $$$.

cohen

This guy wants to experience something *NEW*. Even though Vista looks different and prettier than XP, it's still Windows, and "trying" it won't be much of a new experience (and many people find it rather painful one), plus you'd still have to buy it and if you don't like it...too bad, you've just wasted your $$$.

yes agree.

Meaning that he wants an OS from a different company, no apple or Microsoft OSs.

gldfshkpr

Re: I want a new OS

I have three machines running on my home network.

1. Windows XP Pro
2. Mac Tiger
3. OpenSUSE linux

The linux is the newest OS for me. It's easy to setup and has YAST which seems like an easy package manager (program install/uninstall). I'm not sure you have enough drive space for a dual boot. Check http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

G25r8cer

gOS and knoppix are very good!! Try the live cd before you take the plunge and do a full install just to make sure you like them.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Vista with the correct RAM is very good.

But it's not much of a new experience. It's still windows... and no matter how much ram you have, running Vista is going to be a nightmare on a lower-end single-core CPU. Semprons are a great example of processors that are not going to run Vista very well, unless you disable all the neat graphics and stuff. And then you can't even enjoy the eye candies and nice visuals, the big thing about vista that makes it a "new experience". I say that it's a waste of money...

Gareth

But it's not much of a new experience. It's still windows... and no matter how much ram you have, running Vista is going to be a nightmare on a lower-end single-core CPU. Semprons are a great example of processors that are not going to run Vista very well, unless you disable all the neat graphics and stuff. And then you can't even enjoy the eye candies and nice visuals, the big thing about vista that makes it a "new experience". I say that it's a waste of money...

My old Sempron 64 3100+ S754 with 1GB RAM ran Vista Basic just fine.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
and no matter how much ram you have, running Vista is going to be a nightmare on a lower-end single-core CPU. Semprons are a great example of processors that are not going to run Vista very well, unless you disable all the neat graphics and stuff. And then you can't even enjoy the eye candies and nice visuals, the big thing about vista that makes it a "new experience". I say that it's a waste of money...

thats completly untrue....my even older socket A sempron with over a gig ran Vista Home premium realy smooth.

My old Sempron 64 3100+ S754 with 1GB RAM ran Vista Basic just fine.

:rolleyes: ;)