I want to build a gaming desktop!

nie

Hi guy, how are you doing? I built a computer with your advice years ago. Now my computer is failing. Is there anything I can update for this while still keeping the cost low? Thank you!

This is my Gaming Computer.

MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST DirectX 11.1 N650TI TF 2GD5/OC BE 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR GS series GS600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

WD Black 500GB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5003AZEX - OEM

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I74770K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

jevery

It would help if you were more specific when you say "failing." Also what you use the computer for? My first thought is to switch to a solid state boot drive, (SSD), and upgrade the gpu, if you game. You could pick up a used gtx 1060 or similar off ebay.

Reactions: nie

nie

It would help if you were more specific when you say "failing." Also what you use the computer for? My first thought is to switch to a solid state boot drive, (SSD), and upgrade the gpu, if you game. You could pick up a used gtx 1060 or similar off ebay.
Hi, yes, thank you. My computer kept turning off and it wouldn't start my video games, it used to work great but it's maybe 9+ years old now?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, yes, thank you. My computer kept turning off and it wouldn't start my video games, it used to work great but it's maybe 9+ years old now?
Turning off all the time sounds like its overheating. When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste between cpu and heatsink?

DavidG

The prices of silicon and in particular graphics chips is sky high at the moment. I would look into repairing your current system rather than upgrading unless you are prepared to pay over the odds

Replace the thermal paste - I would then check the temps with HWinfo and run prime95 to stress test the system

Last edited:

nie

The prices of silicon and in particular graphics chips is sky high at the moment. I would look into repairing your current system rather than upgrading unless you are prepared to pay over the odds

Replace the thermal paste - I would then check the temps with HWinfo and run prime95 to stress test the system
Yes, I want to repair my system. Thank you very much.

jevery

Open the case and used compressed air cans or compressor air with low pressure (35-40 psi) to blow out the dust. Pay particular attention to cleaning out the power supply, graphic card, CPU heat sink fins, and any case filters. Remove the heat sink from the CPU and clean off the old paste with alcohol. Reapply thermal paste with arctic silver 5 or similar and reinstall. Videos on youtube if your unsure about paste application. Power it up with the case open and verify that all fans are operative before closing the case. Finally monitor operating temps with HWMONITOR from CPUID.com (free). Leave it running in the background while gaming to record temps under load. After that you should be able to determine if its heat related. If it hasn’t been cleaned since built it will be full of dirt and lint and cleaning would best be done outdoors. If cleaning cures the issue then you can start thinking about some specific upgrades.

adscoin

Hi guy, how are you doing? I built a computer with your advice years ago. Now my computer is failing. Is there anything I can update for this while still keeping the cost low? Thank you!

Bu benim Oyun Bilgisayarım .

MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST DirectX 11.1 N650TI TF 2GD5/OC BE 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR GS series GS600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

WD Black 500GB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5003AZEX - OEM

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I74770K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

You should clean or renew the fans

beers

Staff member
So there's some basic general maintenance on a computer that sounds like it's been neglected.

Do you dust it out semi regularly with compressed air or similar? Like once a year is fine. This includes all components such as the PSU, although you primarily want to focus on the heatsinks. Don't forget to get under the GPU shroud.

Thermal paste and thermal pads become less effective over time, so replacing that under the CPU will make a large difference. The most common method is using a small pea sized drop in the middle and allowing the heatsink to spread it out once you attach it.

Verify operation of your fans, also the environment the PC is in. I've seen people shove PCs into those cubby holes in desks that have zero ventilation and then wonder why they overheat. I physically witnessed my mother in law complain that this 'piece of s*!t computer shut off again' when she had it placed within her curtains, blocking 100% airflow.

nie

Open the case and used compressed air cans or compressor air with low pressure (35-40 psi) to blow out the dust. Pay particular attention to cleaning out the power supply, graphic card, CPU heat sink fins, and any case filters. Remove the heat sink from the CPU and clean off the old paste with alcohol. Reapply thermal paste with arctic silver 5 or similar and reinstall. Videos on youtube if your unsure about paste application. Power it up with the case open and verify that all fans are operative before closing the case. Finally monitor operating temps with HWMONITOR from CPUID.com (free). Leave it running in the background while gaming to record temps under load. After that you should be able to determine if its heat related. If it hasn’t been cleaned since built it will be full of dirt and lint and cleaning would best be done outdoors. If cleaning cures the issue then you can start thinking about some specific upgrades.
Hello, I've cleaned it and removed the old thermal paste and applied new. It's better, thank you!

nie

Hello, thank you for helping me. Now I would like to buy those pieces you mentioned. I'm looking into this sata iii internal ssd? https://www.newegg.com/samsung-2tb-870-qvo-series/p/N82E16820147782 What do you think?

You really need a 2tb SSD? That link on Newegg is from a third party vendor, I would look at something sold and shipped from newegg if possible or even Amazon or locally.
Games are getting quite massive these days, warzone by itself can eat up 200+gigs
I bought a 2 TB SSD back in 2019 to future proof and even then I have to pick and choose what I can have :(