I want to Make my own case(help please)

curtains

hey .. i Want to make a DIY case .. anyone got any experiance in it? any good tips or anything ..

I mainly want to make it outa wood(is this a bad idea?, i don't see where it could go wrong (cause i'm sure it won't burn)

like anywebsites .. i tryed looking some up but didn't find any good ones.

where do i get the base ATX screw on from(i was thinking hacksawing it off a old case?)

any help would be great.

quiktek

I mainly want to make it outa wood(is this a bad idea?, i don't see where it could go wrong (cause i'm sure it won't burn)
QUOTE]

Dude are you serious? You know that wood is flammible right? I wouldn't recommend making your own case. You can get a new and decent case for about 30 bucks.

PunterCam

Wood would be fine. Or MDF is probably what you mean. Unless the computer explodes you'll be fine. Just make sure you give it plenty of air. Don't really know why you want to make one, it'll look shit and cases are hardly expensive...

You wouldn't need anything from an old case, earths are all through the power supply I imagine. Just use a pen to mark where the screw holes are and screw into them.

It's a rubbish idea though. Don't do it.

JLV2k5

QUOTE]

Dude are you serious? You know that wood is flammible right? I wouldn't recommend making your own case. You can get a new and decent case for about 30 bucks.

You can get a case for 30 bucks, not a very nice one.

And this is a terrible idea. The only way this would be a good idea is if you worked with plexy glass for a living and could easiler make a sike transparent case. Wood? Really. No dude. There is a reason why cases are made of materials like steel and aluminum. Light for the amount of material yet strong. how would you make the removeable panel. Would all the bolts and screws be replaced with nails and glue?

reconsider

footballdude2k3

i once heard george w bush speak on tv, and at the time everything that he said was the worst idea i had ever heard, then i read this post

JLV2k5

haha thats funny, I agree with footballdude

Have you decided to go with 4 gigs of ram or 2?

gladrock

you could make a wooden (or other) case look pretty good imo. i would prefer to use solid timber rather than mdf or whatever. and you could conseal all fixings and hinges. not sure how the cooling would work though, as i am not really too clued up on cooling anyway.
a decent wooden case would look like a piece of furniture, that would be cool imo.

fortyways

banned
I like when people have decided to do something so they make a thread to ask for constructive input, but then instead people reject the idea entirely because it's not what they'd do with their things at this point in their life.

He didn't ask what you'd do. He didn't even say what it's for. Maybe he just wants to try for fun, or maybe it's a university project.

Kids.

The_Beast

wood is not that flameable

you could make a wooden (or other) case look pretty good imo. i would prefer to use solid timber rather than mdf or whatever. and you could conseal all fixings and hinges. not sure how the cooling would work though, as i am not really too clued up on cooling anyway.
a decent wooden case would look like a piece of furniture, that would be cool imo.

At Bit-tech.net Green Sabbath has made 2 excelent wooden cases with a 3rd on the way, he even won Bit-techs mod of the year 2007

nexolus

lol you guys with your "NO WOODEN CASES!" wood has to get EXTREMELY hot to catch on fire, much hotter than any computer components would ever get. plastic melts at a lower temp than would, and yet there are plastic components in computers oh no! wood cases are fine, you guys who are flipping out need to do some research.

Vestitor

Depending on how sturdy you want to make it will depends on how much you can spend on supplies for the wooden case. On one of the links simon posted, the guy spent like $125 on supplies for the case. If it is just something to mess around with than it's always nice to try and experiment, but if you want a solid case made of wood, it will take some cash and work.

paratwa

Look at the history of electronics. Wood has housed electronics since the beginning.

Could it catch on fire? Sure, but so could the plastics used in most cases today. It would run to hot? Not if you just use some sense and put enough fans in it.

I love the idea for a wooden case, I have been wanting one for years. One of these days I just might build one myself. I have all the tools I need to do it, I just need to get started. Oh, and the time. I never seem to have time to do anything.

So go for it! And send me some pics when it's done! If you need any help message me.

The_Beast

lol you guys with your "NO WOODEN CASES!" wood has to get EXTREMELY hot to catch on fire, much hotter than any computer components would ever get. plastic melts at a lower temp than would, and yet there are plastic components in computers oh no! wood cases are fine, you guys who are flipping out need to do some research.

on mythbusters they did a Christmas tree experiment

the tree was bone dry (put in a kiln) and put +2000 light bulbs in it, the temp rose to almost 300 degrees and it didn't catch on fire

I don't know of any PC part that get up too 300 degrees

Could it catch on fire? Sure, but so could the plastics used in most cases today. It would run to hot? Not if you just use some sense and put enough fans in it.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely but yes it could

ztrain727

i once heard george w bush speak on tv, and at the time everything that he said was the worst idea i had ever heard, then i read this post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D :D :D I literally just laughed for like 3 full minutes.

Anyway, back on topic. I think that the idea could work, but for the price of the raw material, why not buy a high-end case? If it's a crafts project, get crappy materials and mess around,but I wouldn't trust the case.

As for wood being flammable, don't worry about it. Ever tried holding an open flame up to a wooden piece of furniture or something for a few MINUTES. It blackens, but doesn't catch fire.