I want to take everything off my hardrives (C and other = patictioned drives) HOW?

kona

I've got most of my stuff saved onto external drives. I want to Format the hard drive.
What is the best way? Killdisk.com for instance?

I can only boot to windows now from my disc....the pc is acting up major.

I have someone that can look at it - repair it etc and I can start over, but I want to take all my personal and security info (Government etc ) off the pc to be safe.

Thoughts?

G

strollin

The key is that you can't format the drive you boot from so you need to boot from another drive. You can boot using your OS install disk in your CD/DVD drive or using some other utility CD.

strollin

I'm not sure why you can't restore the files you backed up. Are you sure you are using the same software to do the restore that you used to do the backup? If you created zip files and copied them to CDs, then you should only need to copy the zip files to the new location and unzip them.

The chances are good that you can pull the drive from the old computer and get the files off it provided that the reason the old computer died was not because the drive failed. You can install the old drive in the new computer or there are drive enclosures and adapters that will allow you to connect the old drive via USB or possibly eSata.

In order to provide more specific help, you need to provide info on the type and model of both your old and new computers.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm not sure why you can't restore the files you backed up. Are you sure you are using the same software to do the restore that you used to do the backup? If you created zip files and copied them to CDs, then you should only need to copy the zip files to the new location and unzip them.

The chances are good that you can pull the drive from the old computer and get the files off it provided that the reason the old computer died was not because the drive failed. You can install the old drive in the new computer or there are drive enclosures and adapters that will allow you to connect the old drive via USB or possibly eSata.

In order to provide more specific help, you need to provide info on the type and model of both your old and new computers.

The most recent post in this thread was by a spammer (see his signature).

rainbow9

Use a Data Shredding software to erase the data do not simply delete the data since it can be recovered easily.Also shredding process will take time just google file shredder