i wish i could move to japan

zaroba

me and a few others in an online game were chatting about how internet connections differ from country to country.

japan came up and i went looking online to see what connections the most technically advanced county has. and, well, now i want to live in japan even more :p

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050501faessay84311/thomas-bleha/down-to-the-wire.html
report is from 2005, so its a bit outdated. i'm pretty sure now japan has faster connections for less.

but hell..a 26mb/sec line for what would be US$22.
along with dsl speeds upto 100mb/sec and even direct fiber connections for less then a 10mb/sec cable connection in the US. i would sell my soul for that.

i just looked online at a japanses cable website, they have a 30mb/sec cable connection for only 4600 yen, which is us$38
the highest i've seen in the us is 16mb/sec, and that costs $70

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
You can't directly compare like that all the time. The amount of money people make might be less in japan, and hence it closes the gap.

zaroba

actually, japan has a higher cost of living, everything costs more and everybody makes more. 1 us dollar is equal to over 120 yen and things like the ps3 cost 50k-60k yen

the lower price on internet is due to the government making it so people aren't forced to use local providers like in the us. competition = lower prices.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
japan is geographically small, so it would be easy and not as costly to run fiber everywhere. The US is a huge country, making it super super super expensive to run fiber everywhere.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heh

I wanna have a say in all this because I lived there for some 5 years of my life. I lived there from 1995 to 2000 and let me tell you that the Japanese are most likely better off than people in the US on average. The technology there, back when I lived there was amazing. Imagine 1997 and you had video phones and all that stuff. The internet connection I had back then was a 1Mbit from what I recall and it was relatively cheap. People could only dream of such connections back in Europe or even the US I would dare to say. The cost of living in Japan is much higher I believe however. Housing is very expensive. Most cabling is carried through the air (earthquakes etc.). It's an amazing country!

JAN :D