I would like some help on choosing a desktop from alienware . a ALX or aurora 7500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzu

Hi again everyone
yes i orderd a quad 35 days ago and i was about to be shipped untill they came out with new processor FX-62 .. so i cancled and decided to order a new except this time i want some advice in wha to choose this time.

They have alx ( luxury) and aurora 7500

ALX's has a crossfire edition and the quad sli

Aurora 7500 offers the dual 512 7900s .

I need help choosing and whould you pick if you were in my shoes, I know some will say build it ur self, but i def want to get an alienware desktop.

and also i want more opnions about choosing he sound card (x-fi) or the phyx card.

ALX SYSTEMS:
http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/choose_alx_desktops.aspx

AURORA 7500:
http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...SysCode=PC-AURORA-7500-R3&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Thank you for your time everyone!

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
if you dont want to build then sod it, get an ALX quad or something

But alienware are disgustingly overpriced, even if not building you could probably get a built system of similar specs for less.

Dell own alienware now dont they?

PC eye

banned
A few of us just had a discussion on avoiding the Phyx type card at this time until they work all of the bugs out of it. In the ALX line, http://www.alienware.com/product_de...?SysCode=PC-AURORA-ALX-R6&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
The Aurora 7500 is a price fright at $2,239 or whatever with only one 7900 compared to the other model with 4 cards synced together. But that is only $5,899. If you want to throw your money away these will do that at those tags. ANd you are right about people saying: "BUILD YOUR OWN!". You can expect to hear that alot.

Hanzu

cool if some of u think i should go with quad, it gives you two options and thats because of the limited pci slots... x-fi sound card or physx proc unit... which one you guys would go for

Geoff

VIP Member
Hanzu said:
cool if some of u think i should go with quad, it gives you two options and thats because of the limited pci slots... x-fi sound card or physx proc unit... which one you guys would go for
Sound card. Right now the only thing the PhysX card does is slow down game performance.

PC eye

banned
The Phyx card offers the brand new version of EAX for Creative cards. But the whole thing is lacking the quirks and fixes that will come along. I run an Audigy 4 Pro without issues where the prior Audigy 2 ZS Gamer saw many. The Audigy 4 will see a twin in the next build probably while still looking at the X-FI Platinum seen best priced at http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=3834012

magicman

VIP Member
If money is absolutely no object, which I guess it isn't since you're looking at $5,000 systems, then you may as well go for the ALX. Is it overpriced? Absolutely, but it seems it just matters to you that you get one of the best off-the-rack pc's available. And that would be close to it. PCI card wise, go with the X-Fi, ditch the PhysX card.

And re your IM's, yes I was asleep, I was tired. :p

SpeedDevil817

i despise alienware....basically you are paying a whole lot more money than you could be for the logo of alienware and a nice looking case...

mrjack

VIP Member
As I've said before, Quad SLi is useless right now. Alot of articles state that it doesn't give much of a performance boost, yet. I'd let them work out the kinks etc.

SpeedDevil817

mrjack said:
As I've said before, Quad SLi is useless right now. Alot of articles state that it doesn't give much of a performance boost, yet. I'd let them work out the kinks etc.

yes ive read some articles stating that also...if its not worth it than its a terrible terrible waste of money lol

Hanzu

so what is quad...
x4 7900 GTX cards
or
x4 7900 GT cards?

i built on alienware 3 sysems
2 ALX and 1 aurora 7500

#1 ALX quadro cards 6231$
#2 ALX dual 7900 GTX 5960$
#3 Aruroa Dual 7900 GTX 4892$

they all have same mother board, power supply, ram, hard drive, sound card screen speakers, they even have that new am2 suff and FX-62.. etc..
ALX has this fancy large case with liquid cooling tech ( chilled )
Aurora Doesnt...

and what is wierd is.. the alx dual and quad is almost hte same only 200$ differnce.. thats why im asking, is it a website mistake?? or is x4 GT cards not GTX?

PC eye

banned
I've seen cases for under $100 easily you could dress up and max out for far less money then paying the ridiculous prices there. You can get maxed laptops for even less then the ALX models. In the Aurora you are simply paying over $3,000 more for three additional video cards. You would simply be paying the overpricing for show and tell not for actual value.

PC eye

banned
way2evil said:
pc eye, he obviously wants a alienware for whatever reason, he is refusing to listen to anyone

Gee? Only $5,988 for dual quads. I would even spend that much for that on an 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 426 Hemi under the hood. And that's a rare kind of hardware these days. With that much to put into a custom build you put together a screamer that would win a trophy and still have something left over.

Hanzu

ok great, how about you guys help me build a 5000$ system

i want a monitor,keyboard,speakers.

i want a gaming rig that will run flawlessly the follow games :
city of villians, quake, call of duty, unreal tournment

Status
Not open for further replies.