i5 cpu, help with RAM

eamike261

The plan is to get this cpu:

Here is the exact processor...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067
i5 760 quad core 2.8ghz

I'm trying to figure out which RAM I want. I am choosing between 1600mhz or 2000mhz and I've read some poor reviews about 2000mhz sticks from Corsair and OCZ saying they don't run at advertised speeds. But I read something about faster RAM allows you to overclock the CPU more. So can someone explain what differences are?

I would get either: (both corsair)
3x2GB of this, 2000mhz - 140$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145320
or
4x2GB of this, 1600mhz - 130$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

and why does the 1600mhz model say perfect match for i5 and i7, is there something special about it?

Last edited:

Twist86

Go for the 4x2GB as only the I7 uses the tri-channel setup so you can dual-channel all 4 sticks this way. You can also overclock it to 2000mhz without issues. Also get the i5 750...same cpu just lower clock + cheaper. Can overclock it without problems to 2.8ghz if you wanted to. Most i5 hit 3.6ghz to 4.0ghz with good after market cooling.

Far as the "perfect match" its just a gimmick thing they put up. Tri-Channel = i7 and dual-channel = i5 however all DDR3 memory will work on both sockets. If you don't overclock id still get the 4x2GB of ram...but keep the 760 as higher clock is better. You wont notice the difference between 1600mhz vs 2000mhz unless you benchmark but that is irrelevant imho.

Last edited:

eamike261

Oh great thanks, I didn't even notice/know about the dual vs triple channel. After reading some reviews those sticks seem to be horrible, I thought corsair was a good brand. Do you have any suggestions for some decent 1600mhz ram that's not overly pricey?

And could someone enlighten me...check out the feedback for this RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227559

Why do some people say that it wont run the full 1600mhz at 1.65v and 8-8-8-24? But others say that it does? Is this something that is caused by the motherboard? Also, what is the issue with bumping it up to 1.7v?

Last edited:

salvage-this

Why do some people say that it wont run the full 1600mhz at 1.65v and 8-8-8-24? But others say that it does? Is this something that is caused by the motherboard? Also, what is the issue with bumping it up to 1.7v?

Well the highest speeds that are supported by todays CPUs are 1333 but you can easily set the speed to 1600 in your bios. Some systems will not recognize the speeds and timings until you configure them to those settings. You may need to bump up the voltage to make the ram stable at those settings.

eamike261

Is there any downside to increasing the voltage though? And how would I know that it was unstable? Sounds like something that could screw up my hardware...

Matthew1990

Is there any downside to increasing the voltage though? And how would I know that it was unstable? Sounds like something that could screw up my hardware...

I would not play with RAM voltage. I heard horror stories with people OC i5 750, without knowing that they increased RAM voltages as well.

I used to have E5200 and OC'ed to 3.2GHz with no problems. With i5, I can not even OC a bit.....

If anyone could enligthen me, I would appreciate it...

xD

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Go for the 4x2GB as only the I7 uses the tri-channel setup so you can dual-channel all 4 sticks this way.
Only LGA1366 i7s are triple channel as well, there are LGA1156 i7s which are only dual channel.
Usually the main factor is increased heat. You know it's unstable because it crashes ;)
As long as you don't go crazy increasing the voltage it shouldn't cause any damage.

Benny Boy

what is the issue with bumping it up to 1.7v?
more v's = more heat.
OCZ isnt very good memory. Something like Gskill, A-Data, Mushkin more desirable.
Newegg is out, on some Gskill cl8 & 1.6 that was on sale.
A-Data has some cl9 & cl8 w/1.55-1.75.

eamike261

Ah thanks for the advice, I think I've settled on my ram. Choosing between:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
G Skill 4x2GB 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=g_skill_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-335-_-Product
G Skill 3x2GB 7-8-7-24 Triple Channel

Any reason to choose one over the other? The second seems like overkill with the triple channel since I can't use it.

I would not play with RAM voltage. I heard horror stories with people OC i5 750, without knowing that they increased RAM voltages as well.

I used to have E5200 and OC'ed to 3.2GHz with no problems. With i5, I can not even OC a bit.....

If anyone could enligthen me, I would appreciate it...

xD

I was planning on overclocking my i5 760 a good bit with aftermarket cooling, but I was unaware that it would automatically increase the RAM voltage. I'm not very familiar with overclocking though, maybe someone could explain that a little?

john10001

What is the max supported memory frequency for Intel Core i5's? I thought it was only 1333Mhz? And I though this was the reason why majority of people don't buy memory much greater than the 1600Mhz as you wouldn't be able to get much more out of them, or that it would be quite difficult to do so?

The Corsair Dominator 4GB (1600Mhz) Dual Channel kits seem quite popular for overclockers, and you can get a little more out of this memory plus its cheap as chips.

I am wondering myself what extra if anything you'd be able to achieve if you stuck in some dual channel OCZ Gold at 2000 Mhz or some Patriot Viper Sector 5's at 2400Mhz?

On the Overclockers site here in the UK one user made the following comments on the OCZ 2000Mhz memory:

"Good ram.

Reviewed by: Lug (Essex)

slapped these in my motherboard, run perfectly at standard settings, but as intel cpu's don't officialy support anything over 1066 mhz, it can be difficult to get a decent frequency from them, i have a 4.3Ghz overclock on my i5 system, and im stuck at 1290 mhz because it isnt stable any higher, however these modules will allow you to tighten the latency timings down and gain performance anyway, all in all good product but can be confusing!
good price too."

I'm a little confused on it as well whether the extra price will gain you much more performance or not. 4.3Ghz though I think is pretty good going for an i5 and I guess if you have good coolers in there including for the memory modules, Bob's your uncle?

John

Matthew1990

I am currently running my 750 at 3GHz. By doing so I had to take RAM down to 1400MHz....Anything above 1600MHz won't boot up....

1.14 VCore.

1.65 DRAM.

I have Corsair 1600MHz 2 x 2GB memory.

linkin

VIP Member
You can lower the timings at that speed. I think 1400mhz CAS8 would be faster than 1600mzh CAS9

so try 8-8-8-24-32 timings (that would be tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and tRC, in that order) and run 2T as well. might want to write that down as it can be tricky to remember.

If it isn't stable, increase the tRCD to 9 and tRC to 34 and try again.

Last edited:

Matthew1990

You can lower the timings at that speed. I think 1400mhz CAS8 would be faster than 1600mzh CAS9

so try 8-8-8-24-32 timings (that would be tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and tRC, in that order) and run 2T as well. might want to write that down as it can be tricky to remember.

If it isn't stable, increase the tRCD to 9 and tRC to 34 and try again.

Cheers!

Changed it to 8 8 8 24 and seems to be stable.

The cpu at 3GHz reaches about 54C at 100% for about 20mins.

I think I will go a bit further :D