i7 3770K cooling

Analizer

Hello CF!

So I got a new build couple of weeks ago and the fan on my i7 3770K is really loud when under big load, such as UDK, Maya rendering or playing games.

I wanted to go for water cooling because I've got Sabertooth Z77 and I cannot just install any cooler because of the thermal armour on the motherboard.

So are there any good water coolers for up to £60/$96? I really want to change it, so if there isn't anything within that price range then maybe a good fan cooler?

Thanks in advance,
Analizer.

Last edited:

ShrunkThatGUY

there are different makes of this water cooling system
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106188
this being the cheapest of that product line, i suggest you may want to spend a little more on your cpu cooler if you are looking to over clock your cpu in the future.
such as this water cooling system
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106189
but if you dont plan to do serious overclocking the first link is in your price range and still a very good product

jonnyp11

You can get a corsair one for like 60 usd new or antec for about the same, would trust them more than the thermaltake but it should be fine. Although there are some good air coolers that can be had for half that and still get great performance.

Overclockers.co.uk has the antec kuhler 620 and corsair h60 for under 60 pounds, also check aria.co.uk and dabs.com i think, might be one other.

Last edited:

Analizer

I looked at Antec Kuhler H2O 620 and Corsair Hydro Series H60 and apparently they get really bad benchmarks, which means they are not cool enought for that CPU. Is that true?

salvage-this

They are fine. I have used the H60 with a few setups and the only time I would consider it loud is when I was OCing and temps were really pushing the limits. Right now I have 4 fans on the H100 and I can barely hear them. The one fan with the H60 will not be much more noise than another case fan.

If you really want it to be as quiet as possible get an aftermarket fan that is a bit quieter.

salvage-this

It really depends on the voltages. I suppose my last post was a bit misleading. OCed at 4.5 with 1.28v it was fine at load. When trying to bench at 4.9 with over 1.5v it was a bit louder. Still not terrible but I could hear it more than at 4.5. It really depends on how high you want to take it.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
im using the antec 920 kuhler....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054&Tpk=antec 920 kuhler

use it on my i7 3770k overclocked to 4.6Ghz on 1.3v and it never exceeds low 70's while running intel burn test (which will get the cpu as hot as its gonna get. you should look into it, im glad i got it for sure. i like it better than the h100 by corsair, as my friend has both the 3770k and the h100, and i get better results.

Lol, pretty funny. Since I get only 67 max on 4.7ghz 1.385v xD.
Didn't know that ivy bridges were that much hotter.
And btw, normally the h100 cools better then yours...

kdfresh09

yes smiley man, ivy does run a fair amount hotter, and seems to need more voltage at higher clocks than sandy. as well i also know that the h100 "should" cool better, but ive used them both on this chip, and the antec 920 does better, which is why i chose this and gave the h100 to my buddy for his build. either way, im happy with my temps, considering its ivy.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
yes smiley man, ivy does run a fair amount hotter, and seems to need more voltage at higher clocks than sandy. as well i also know that the h100 "should" cool better, but ive used them both on this chip, and the antec 920 does better, which is why i chose this and gave the h100 to my buddy for his build. either way, im happy with my temps, considering its ivy.

Yeah, but I've seen people getting 4.9ghz with those coolers in the low 70s.

kdfresh09

can you show us here at computer forum. im intrested in seeing this. makes me feel like im not doing something right with my set up. maybe i need to put better thermal paste on the cpu, since i used what was already pre applied. and 4.9Ghz, im wondering what voltages they are using. if you could provide some links and info on these 4.9Ghz setups with the antec 920 im using like you say, then that would be great for us all here who have an ivybridge and be able to compare it too. thanks

by the way, are the temps your talking about with these people running 4.9Ghz using intel burn test to stress test it? i highly doubt, but could be wrong. ive just built 5 machines with the same cpu and they all run warmer than what you said when overclocked and stressed with intel burn test. when i do anything else like 3d mark 11, heaven, encode/edit, or game, it never goes above 60c @ 4.6Ghz-1.3v

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
can you show us here at computer forum. im intrested in seeing this. makes me feel like im not doing something right with my set up. maybe i need to put better thermal paste on the cpu, since i used what was already pre applied. and 4.9Ghz, im wondering what voltages they are using. if you could provide some links and info on these 4.9Ghz setups with the antec 920 im using like you say, then that would be great for us all here who have an ivybridge and be able to compare it too. thanks

by the way, are the temps your talking about with these people running 4.9Ghz using intel burn test to stress test it? i highly doubt, but could be wrong. ive just built 5 machines with the same cpu and they all run warmer than what you said when overclocked and stressed with intel burn test. when i do anything else like 3d mark 11, heaven, encode/edit, or game, it never goes above 60c @ 4.6Ghz-1.3v

Prime95, intel burn in,... all the same. They just bring all threads to 100%, so the whole cpu is working, you'll get the max temp then. My benchmark does totally the same in the multithreaded part.
I'll post some results tomorrow, I'm now on my mobile lol.

kdfresh09

benchmarks and prime and the likes will not get the cpu as hot as intel burn test. prime maybe close, but not as hot. just cause the threads and cores get put to 100% doesnt mean that the cpu will get as hot as any other program that does that. intel burn test is the only test that ive used out of many, that will get my cpu to be in the 70's, just after 1 minute of testing. anything else i can do and it will never get that warm, so thats why i say intel burn test, so data providing temps, clock speed and voltage using intel burn test would be great to support your statements on 4.9Ghz running in the low 70's on the same cooler i have. its the only way im going t be able to dial in on a problem with my temps, if im even having one (as in i can get it cooler).

Virssagòn

VIP Member
benchmarks and prime and the likes will not get the cpu as hot as intel burn test. prime maybe close, but not as hot. just cause the threads and cores get put to 100% doesnt mean that the cpu will get as hot as any other program that does that. intel burn test is the only test that ive used out of many, that will get my cpu to be in the 70's, just after 1 minute of testing. anything else i can do and it will never get that warm, so thats why i say intel burn test, so data providing temps, clock speed and voltage using intel burn test would be great to support your statements on 4.9Ghz running in the low 70's on the same cooler i have. its the only way im going t be able to dial in on a problem with my temps, if im even having one (as in i can get it cooler).

If you want to be right, first learn about it.
I'm saying that all programs that get your cpu to 100% give your max temp in less then a minute.

kdfresh09

hhmmmm, perhaps. it just seems to me that when i have used other tests that push the cpu to 100% its never gotton as hot as when i use intel burn test. although i may be wrong, and mistaken. okay then, so what would you suggest i doto help my temps then? im using the stock thermal paste that came with the antec 920. should i change it out? all i have to use is some "dynex" thermal paste. it says its silver thermal paste, but its white in appearance. do you think this will help? if not, then what do you think would, or am i fine on temps. i mean i know my temps are within safe range, but im looking to get them better. i heard that if i lower my vid voltage or something like that , that it may help with temps, although i tries once before and it just locked my pc up.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
hhmmmm, perhaps. it just seems to me that when i have used other tests that push the cpu to 100% its never gotton as hot as when i use intel burn test. although i may be wrong, and mistaken. okay then, so what would you suggest i doto help my temps then? im using the stock thermal paste that came with the antec 920. should i change it out? all i have to use is some "dynex" thermal paste. it says its silver thermal paste, but its white in appearance. do you think this will help? if not, then what do you think would, or am i fine on temps. i mean i know my temps are within safe range, but im looking to get them better. i heard that if i lower my vid voltage or something like that , that it may help with temps, although i tries once before and it just locked my pc up.

Stock paste is OK, not great though. I would recommend AS5.
Also it's not very hard to apply it, but you need to do it right.
Just a little grain in the middle of the cpu and place the heatsink on it.
It will spread automatically.