I7 4710HQ With cooling pad still too hot?

Gstag

So I assumed having the coolmaster notepal x3 would cool this cpu down. and it does the job. (Most the time) However I have noticed it still being close to 90C on a few games. While I do not trust myself to apply thermal paste even though it looks EXTREMELY simple. Any thoughts on lowering the temps or what a good goal for the temperature to reach would be? Also if it helps my laptop is a ASUS ROG GL551JM-DH71

Last edited:

C4C

I with my laptop and cooling pad is just prop it just a bit with a pink eraser or two to allow some more space for air to flow underneath.

I'm actually doing thermal paste on my laptop soon so I'll let you know how it goes. There seems to be quite a few guides for a variety of laptops online.

tylerjrb

I replaced my laptops thermal paste around a year back, it was quite old and was getting pretty hot into the high 70s. Once replaced it did drop the temps down to around 55-60c so it was worth doing. I also had a cooler master u3 and it was very good.

It was pretty simple to do but it required dis-assembling the whole laptop to get to the cpu. Some laptops may be easier but it did take a few hours work. There were also quite a few tiny cables for the speakers and fans etc which were quite fiddly. If you do dis-assemble the laptop just make a sketch of all components and cable positions.

Its just an unfortunate problem with laptops is due to their compactness they get pretty darn hot and theres no option to upgrade the cpu cooler without modification.