i7 4790k In optiplex 790

Jdog1321

Just handed down my first “Gaming” PC down to my younger cousin but it’s sporting a locked up i7 2600. I saw that the 4790k was an upgrade option and that it could be tuned with intel XTU. Would this chip be compatible? He’s literally got no money in it right now. I gave him my old Asus 1060 6gb and he’s using that card with it right now. He was talking about getting a 1660S but I’m worried he doesn’t know that that chip will bottleneck. I’m shopping for him atm, what’s the best plan of action?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, the 4790K is not an upgrade option unless the motherboard gets changed since the 2600 is socket 1155 and the 4790k is socket 1150. What exact motherboard is in it? The problem you will have is that its a very old outdated socket and the only place you will find processors for it would most likely be ebay.

beers

Staff member
As per @johnb35 they're on different sockets and chipsets. If the PC has a 2600 now, depending on BIOS support you could probably max out at a 3770K.

1660 isn't worth the upgrade over the 1060 IMO even without the aging 2600 in the mix. Probably 'just using it' for the time being would be a reasonable play until GPU prices come back to earth, which are declining, unless you can find another compatible K processor inexpensively. You'd probably get the most benefit rolling the budget for that into a newer system.

Does the system have a SSD or anything already?