i7 compared to q6600

fmw

You always talking about incremental improvements in performance. They are real improvements but normally not earth shaking. I've been building computers since 1991 and I always recommend buying last year's technology. It is always meaningfully cheaper and normally performs almost as well. That is what I do myself and what I always recommend to others. The latest and greatest is always a kick but, truthfully, it is a small kick with a big price tag. Worse, it becomes last years technology very quickly. My latest build was just this week - AMD Phemon 9950. That's last year's technology and it runs everything really well.

just a noob

You always talking about incremental improvements in performance. They are real improvements but normally not earth shaking. I've been building computers since 1991 and I always recommend buying last year's technology. It is always meaningfully cheaper and normally performs almost as well. That is what I do myself and what I always recommend to others. The latest and greatest is always a kick but, truthfully, it is a small kick with a big price tag. Worse, it becomes last years technology very quickly. My latest build was just this week - AMD Phemon 9950. That's last year's technology and it runs everything really well.

for all we know, he would be stepping up from a pentium 3 with 128 megs of ram, sure last years technology will work, but next year it is outdated

1up5dn

I'm having the same dilemma. I have been gravitating towards the i7 and been really close to pulling the trigger. Here's the two systems I have been looking at. I can't build one for that little.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11330139&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

and here

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9081325&type=product&id=1218017465909

The Gateway has a small power supply and low memory, but is easily upgraded and BB has the 18 months of no interest!

hmmmm.......