i7 reading hot right off of BIOS

JaredC.

Hi guys, I just put together my pc with a i7 2600k. On first startup in BIOS it read 45c less than 30 seconds after startup and climbs to 60c then it does not continue to climb. Any guesses as to what could be causing this?

Thanks

jonnyp11

are these just at idle, or is this while it is still loading all the drivers and background programs, i'd say turn it on then wait say 30 mins then tell us what that temp is, so that will be truly idle with no load

and is this on the stock cooler or an aftermarket one, is there thermal paste on the cpu?

JaredC.

This was right after first boot, so it had been at idle speeds for about 25 seconds and it was already this hot. This is with the stock cooler with thermal paste added (not factory thermal compound.)

jonnyp11

well 1, recently someone said something similar and apparently it can take a week or 2 for the thermal compound to cure so that it works properly, and idk but i think if the os is threaded to use the i7's power it could put it under full load for a couple secs and that with un-cured thermal paste could cause some high temps, and there's also the fact that the heat sensors aren't always accurate, there are just too many possibilities with such a new cpu, it's easier to help when we know it was working then something happened and then it is messing up.

jonnyp11

i know nvidia system monitor has a panel thing you can activate to stay in the corner showing the temps, can also add the load % and other stuff too.

JaredC.

Yeah im using the AddGadget.com CPU usage and core temp reader, and at idle im now getting a reading of 38c-42c.

jonnyp11

i don't think those are bad, i know the chips can go over 70 celsius, and i'm pretty sure they leave a couple degrees or more window as a safety net, run something that will put it under load, idk what programs people use though so can't help there, but try to get it up to like 100% or close to and watch the temps, as long as they stay below say 73/2 (think 72 is the recomended max but not sure.), then you should be safe, below 70 is prefered though.

claptonman

I would try reseating the CPU and applying more thermal paste. Couldn't hurt. Did you spread the paste or put a dot in the middle and have the cooler spread it? I would let the cooler spread it. Did a build yesterday with that method and my friend's temps are 25-30 with his 2500k. That is with an aftermarket cooler, but I still suggest that method.

JaredC.

I did spread the paste by hand not by the cooler. Do you think it should come down after a little while? maybe a curing stage? It now rests at 38-45c and spikes under load around 70c.

Perkomate

For a temperature monitor, why not go with Core Temp. It shows minimum, maximum and also has current temp refreshed really often.

claptonman

I would reapply it. Put a dot in the middle and have the cooler spread it. And if I had a 2600k, I would definitely get an aftermarker cooler. Wouldn't want my $300 investment getting anywhere near that hot.

mehul

Make sure that your CPU HSF is seated properly.
And you spread it by hand that is the main problem.It might have caused formation of air bubbles.
I would get some AfterMarket TIM like Shin Etsu or MX4/TX4 and let the HSF spread it automatically.And use the dot in the centre method and then just put the HSF over it.

Also what is your ambient temperature and also make sure you have the HSF fan plugged in.

jonnyp11

use something like rubbing alchohol or something else with a very high alchohol %, since it eats through the paste or something like that and alchohol kills germs and stuff too, but it doesn't affect the cpu pieces, resulting in the cleanest possible surface

mihir

VIP Member
You can use 91% Iso-Propyl Alcohol and coffee filters to clean of the old TIM.
or you can use Acetone which is dangerous since it is also used for wiping of PCBs.
Then there are products like Arctic Clean etc to clean it of.
The simplest is getting 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and coffee filters.
And then once you clean it of, put a dot of TIM at the center of the chip and then just put the HSF over it. Remember about TIM "A little goes a long way".
And once you have put the HSF do not lift it since it will cause formation of Air-Bubbles and since Air is not a good conductor of heat, it causes over-heating.

linkin

VIP Member
BIOS/UEFI does not have any power saving features like EIST or Cool'n'Quiet, they only function once you boot into an OS.

So your CPU is sitting there running at full pelt in the BIOS.

Hsv_Man

How do you recomend i remove the old thermal paste of the processor?

I just use Kerosene or Methylated Spirits whichever one I find lying around the house it does the job perfectly not a trace of thermal compound after running a rag over the processor and heatsink.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like claponman said. Clean off the compound. Apply a amount of a grain of rice in the middle and let the CPU cooler spread it out.