i7 Stock Cooler

Irishwhistle

Somebody told me that Intel CPU coolers aren't all that great and I'm just wondering, is the cooler that comes with an i7 920 good for keeping it cool (no overclocking)?

i would think, they wouldnt give you a cooler that wouldnt keep it cool at stock settings, i have looked at the reviews for the i7's and everyone says they can get up to like a 4.0 on the stock cooler so you should be good

JTM

It's most likely decent, but not something you wanna keep if you're building your rig up.

DarkTears

banned
i would think, they wouldnt give you a cooler that wouldnt keep it cool at stock settings, i have looked at the reviews for the i7's and everyone says they can get up to like a 4.0 on the stock cooler so you should be good

thats so false i had to lol
you cant go to 4.0 on stock, trust me.

lovely?

really? considering an e8400 can get to 3.6 stock nearly every time, i thought the i7's would do 3.9-4...

Twist86

Well I7 is what 140w of power? Where as a E8400 is only 65w...big difference in heat when overclocking.

Also that is 4.0ghz with aftermarket for most people. Also depends on how cool their house is and case flow.

But id say stock 4.0ghz is a REAL stretch.

laznz1

Well I7 is what 140w of power? Where as a E8400 is only 65w...big difference in heat when overclocking.

Also that is 4.0ghz with aftermarket for most people. Also depends on how cool their house is and case flow.

But id say stock 4.0ghz is a REAL stretch.

agreed that's pushing it go for a new one

Archangel

VIP Member
140Watt for a processor.. its really going the wrong way again it seems. why do they keep making new componenets more power hungry? I mean, its not like its the way to go really..

MouSe

Yea, 4.0 on a stock cooler would not be possible. But any decent aftermarket air cooler can get them to 4.0 no problem. I know my Vigor Monsoon 3 LT does just fine.

just a noob

actually...
Temps at 4.189ghz was too high for my liking, I got my watercooling gear in today so I'm gonna be working on that.

The temps were ~73c idle ~82c load, needless to say it went right back to stock.
source

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
140Watt for a processor.. its really going the wrong way again it seems. why do they keep making new componenets more power hungry? I mean, its not like its the way to go really..
It's not as bad as it sounds. It takes a lot of power yes but they've added 2 more cores so it's really not that bad. Not like a P4 or something.

DarkTears

banned
imho, the only thing i see that putting the clock higher does is give you an increased score on benchmarks and stuff. Does anyone know how it effects programs and what not?

DarkTears

banned
It's not as bad as it sounds. It takes a lot of power yes but they've added 2 more cores so it's really not that bad. Not like a P4 or something.

Even still, it underclocks itself when it doesn't need all that power so its not constantly using all that power.