IBM desktop giving trouble

seamus

Hello everyone i am new to here, I have an IBM pc 300PL (6862-A70)
It has a pentium 2 ,
It does not start
I get nothing on the monitor , i tested the monitor on another computer and it works,
When i switch it on, the hard drive makes a little noise but nothing else.
The cooling fans work ok
The power supply appears to be ok, i am getting the correct voltages.
With the hard drive disconnected before start i still get no display,
the cd drive does open when i press the button to open it, and it closes when i push it to close,
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Thank you for your help
seamus

UrbanDragon

OK. WAIT.

Am i missing something or did you say that you removed the hdd and still no video.

Either way. if you are not getting a video signal on the monitor when you hit the power button you have far more problems then a simple hdd.

When you hit the power button do you hear a single BEEP. indicating that the bios has ran through the POST test sequence. If you are not hearing that SINGLE beep then your problem is NOT with your hard drive.

My first suggestion is to seek professional help especially if you do not know alot about computers because my instructions will require you to remove and install new components, components that a computer tech would have on hand for testing purposes, which would keep you from having to purchase many new components when it was 1 single device that caused the problem.

I thing you can try as an alternative to taking it in to a shop would be to remove all power cables from your computer. take the side panel off and see if you can find the CMOS battery.(it looks like a slightly larger version of a watch battery) Remove this battery and hold the power button in for about 15-30 sec. (NOTE: DO NOT PLUG THE POWER CABLE IN!) after you have held the button for about 15-30 sec. leave the computer sit without any power cables connected for about 1-2 hours. letting the capacitors in the computer completely discharge. After a couple hours have passed return the CMOS battery , put the side panel back on the computer , then try it out.

Please post your results if you decide to try this option.

Hello seam, i'm new here too
So u saying when u computer turn on, is it suppose to load WINdow or MSDOS, what is it suppose to do, <<<
the only reason that the monitor is not on is because ur HDD is corrupt

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the only reason that the monitor is not on is because ur HDD is corrupt
A corrupt harddrive won't affect pre-OS boottime displays since during the pre-OS stage, the harddrive isnt a neccesity for boot.

I'd reccomend you have a look at the video chip/card. If its a card, make sure its well seated and if its a chip then you can get a PCI/AGP video card to take over the task of video display :)