IBM Intellistation A Pro power supply

chey

Hello.

One of my friends had an IBM Intellistation A Pro 6224. The motherboard of the computer got damaged and he gave me the power supply (HIPRO, Model: HP-W530HF3, FRU P/N: 74P4437, IBM P/N: 24R2683). This is a really good quality device and I would like to use it to power up other devices.
Its power connentors (peripherial, serial ATA, floppy and main) are just like other power supplies' ones (they are pin compatible, I checked with a multimeter and tested with other devices).
There are three connectors (P2, P15, P16) whitch have to be attached directly to the original motherboard (Extender board power, Microprocessor power and CN22), but I do not have such a motherboard. I would need to know what are they used for to be able to use them if needed.
The fan of the power supply runs all the time when connected to 230V or 110V, I think there might be a pin to stop the fan when the computer is turned off.
What are the three connectors used for and what are their pinouts? Please help me if you can.

Greetings,
Dani

Last edited:

jack straw

Hopefully someone still needs this info!

I have the extact same issue with my A Pro, and after doing some very thorough research I was able to find out this:

"Power-on LED

When this LED is lit and not flashing, it indicates that the computer is
turned on. When this LED is flashing, it indicates that the computer is off
and still connected to an ac power source (standby mode)

When you connect the power cord to the computer and an ac power source,
the power-supply fan will run and continue to run when the computer is in
standby mode to provide cooling to the power supply"

Info. found here:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/intellistation/49y0080.pdf

So in essence, whenever the workstation is plugged in, it is in "stand by mode" just by virtue of the fact that it is plugged in , and not because it was put in stand by mode by the O/S. And when the workstation is in this so-called "standby mode", the fan will continue to operate ad infinitum. The power must be cut into order for the p/s fan to stop operating. Personally I find it highly annoying that the computer cannot be plugged in without the dang fan spinning continuously. If there is a pin that controls this fan behavior, I'd sure like to know about it too. But after Googling for 2 days (!) this was the best I could come up with. This continuously spinning fan was beginning to drive me up a wall!:eek: :) cheers:)