IBM Sys. Bd. Error 127 What is it?

zenix

Hi,

I have an IBM Aptiva with a 300 MHz PII, 64 Megs RAM, 6.4 Gig HDD.
Recently I have been receiving the error messahe "System Board Error 127". This seems to happen most when the system has been used a bit and is heated up. I get the choice to go to set up on this screen and when I do the CPU isn't registering, it's saying "0 MHz". The CPU was quite hot so I took it out and swapped it with another one, with a new fan on it. I also verified the case fan works well. This seemed to fix it for a day, but then I started getting it again.

If anyone has any helpful ideas for me I would really appreciate them.

Garry

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. How hot exactly is the CPU? Something like PCWIzard or MBM5 can tell you
2. Could it be the voltages are plain old screwed up? :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Here's what that error code means:
127: Processor Speed Error
If you changed the processor, it may not be fully supported by the BIOS. The computer will operate normally but you will always see this error when you turn on the computer.
If you did not change the processor, turn off the computer, wait 10 seconds, and then turn the computer on again.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yah that'll do it ... stupid OEMs trying to "intimidate" uses with error msgs :D

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It seems that there is an universal solution for that errors:
10X System Board Error:
Turn off the system unit, wait 10 seconds, and then turn on the system unit again.

An X shown as part of the error code in this table represents any number between 0 and 9.
But what happens if you enter an infinite loop with that?

zenix

Thanks!

Hey,
I installed PC Wizard and am a little unsettled with the fact that it says unspecified where it should say the voltages.
I DID change the the CPU with a 300 MHz PII, just like the one that I took out, but this one has a fan attatched. If I am getting a speed error, could it mean that the voltages are wrong after it's warmed up? Just curious.

Thanks a lot!
Garry

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
installed PC Wizard and am a little unsettled with the fact that it says unspecified where it should say the voltages
Nah dont worry, not all mobos (esp older and OEM ones) have sensors -- even tho they should

If I am getting a speed error, could it mean that the voltages are wrong after it's warmed up? Just curious.
Voltages are wrong or they arent... not often (although it happens) that they "become" wrong ... what ARE your voltages (BIOS might tell you)

zenix

The BIOS doesn't speciy the voltages. The CPU I have in it isn't near as hot as the old one got. This problem seemd to happen only after it has been used a while and is heated up. When I get the error, sometimes I'll shut it off and it'll have no affect on it, other times it boots up. I always leave it off a feww minutes. I have a case fan I put in along with the PS fan, it doesn't seem to be over heating.

zenix

Thanks, I never thought about the memory (not that I claim to be able to think of everything). I'll give that a try!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Its not often that memory critically overheats but its a possibility nonetheless :)