IBM's odd stuff...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'll try to get a pic of you guys REALLY want one, but there's not much to see... I have an older IBM(PIII 733) and on the front, there's this black thing connected to the case. There's a wire going to the motherboard... What is it?! It's silver on the inside but wrapped in some black plastic(basically like electrical tape or that heat shrinking stuff.

I considered transporting the mobo to a better case, but I saw that and was afraid I might miss something and the mobo wouldn't work anymore. I don't think it's a battery as there's still a regular coin sized battery on the board, too

shakoush2001

Ive got and IBM 300PL , I noticed the same thing in the front of the case " it was covered " anyhow I made a search and I farly remeber taht it had something to do with identifying a computer or something like that but Iam not quite sure nomore

Lax

VIP Member
yeah.......I have no idea what you're talking about. If you put a pic up I might know what it is.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I need to get back into the machine and replace the RAM, it's like one of my chips died. I'll try to get a pic of it, but to get a good one you must take the front off... One of the tabs that held the front on broke last time I did that so I'd rather not break another -.- We'll see...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've moved the system to a new case(including this odd thing) It actually has a connection that grounds out on the case? Weird, huh? Anyway, here's a pic of the thing before I pulled it out.

Last edited: