Icons Disappearing

ryby2

Hi,
Im having a problem with my icon disapearing on my old computer whenever i start it up. They will appear for a little while and the they will flicker on and off for a little while until they don't come up completely. If you guys have any advice and could give me any help please respond.

ryby2

sory about that. its a dell inspiron 8400 and has windows XP on it. Its also around 4-5 years old

ryby2

ive run a virus and spysweeper scan and it didn't find anything. right now im using spysweeper. And yes it did just start happening....

ryby2

alright i believe now that it is a virus. Should i reinstall windows xp and everythign else?

azwebs

Can't think of anything much else, apart from corrupted Windows. If its that, you're screwed anyway. If you've got barely any programs, and a recent backup of data, go ahead. If you're like me with 180gb of crap, and hundreds of massive programs, wait a minute. You might want to download AVG 7.5 free. Just give it one run and see what it finds. I'm using it on my web server, never had any virus problems in the whole 3 years. Very good piece of freeware software. Try it out, see the results, and do what the program tells you to. If it can't find anything, the chances are Windows is corrupted, and that sooner or later, you'll get bluescreen. If AVG doesn't find anything, reinstall Windows.