Ide + Sata?

shupola

ok, i just upgraded my mobo without having to reinstall windows. well, the thing is that i got an sata 120gb drive to go with it and it isnt showing up in my computer? can anyone tell me if its ok to run an IDE drive as your master drive and still be able to use an sata for files and such? or will they not work together?

suprasteve

they should both work and whatever has the OS should be master, I'd check bios and make sure you have both ide and sata on

ceewi1

VIP Member
shupola said:
ok, i just upgraded my mobo without having to reinstall windows. well, the thing is that i got an sata 120gb drive to go with it and it isnt showing up in my computer? can anyone tell me if its ok to run an IDE drive as your master drive and still be able to use an sata for files and such? or will they not work together?

You probably haven't created a partition on the drive. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and see if the drive shows up there. If it's there, create a partition on it and it should appear in My Computer. If not, make sure the drive's plugged in correctly (not into a SATA RAID port, if your mobo has them), and that SATA is enabled by jumper or by BIOS.

shupola

ceewi1 said:
You probably haven't created a partition on the drive. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and see if the drive shows up there. If it's there, create a partition on it and it should appear in My Computer. If not, make sure the drive's plugged in correctly (not into a SATA RAID port, if your mobo has them), and that SATA is enabled by jumper or by BIOS.

man, u r a life saver. it worked and its showing up im my computer now.

thanx a million.

shupola:)

shupola

ok, now the drive is showing, but there is also an icon in the system tray that says "safely remove hardware". can anyone tell me how to get rid of this icon? :confused: