IE not compatible with my new antivirus program which came free with my internet conn

jason

I am using Windows XP pro. One month ago I downloaded an antivirus program which came free with my internet connection. After that my IE is behaving strangely. Now it does not show the characters other than English so I can not open any website using characters in other language as those characters turned into ???? marks.
Even on English web pages my browser makes some links which direct to some kind of search engine. And the main problem is I can not uninstall that antivirus program in Control Panel or even can not delete it. What should I do? any suggestions???? Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. What antivirus?
2. Have you done a spyware check?
3. Check your region settings to make sure they are english only? :)

jason

Praetor said:
1. What antivirus?
2. Have you done a spyware check?
3. Check your region settings to make sure they are english only? :)

Ok, my antivirus was Norton in Japanese, so couldn't understand many options while downloading. I checked the symantac website for its removal and found the instructions. But when I was following them the message window appeared saying - Can not delete because some file in use or make sure the disk is full or write protected.
Next?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, my antivirus was Norton in Japanese, so couldn't understand many options while downloading
Consider an english version?

But when I was following them the message window appeared saying - Can not delete because some file in use or make sure the disk is full or write protected.
Do it in safe mode :)

jason

But I want to remove that antivirus program first. Can't remove in Control Panel>Add Remove Programs. Next???

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But I want to remove that antivirus program first. Can't remove in Control Panel>Add Remove Programs. Next???
Run the uninstaller that comes with norton :) Tried uninsatalling in SafeMode?

jason

Thanks for your answer Praetor!

I can not find any uninstaller with that norton antivirus anywhere. How should I remove it? Is there any other solution which I can use to see the web pages of other language than English in IE ?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. You can use a registry cleaner or uninstaller program
2. Have you looked at your language settings? :)

Hellfire

if your lucky you would have a restore point before installing any program.. I always make one.. if so.. RESTORE I'd do that.. easyest bloody way :D but im lazy