Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tristan said:
huh.. you should give the new .9 a whirl. I think you will find it worth it.

im sure the newer versions work fine. but for this situation i'll say "if its not broken dont fix it." I have 768K DSL connection and no matter what program i use its never going to get faster, IE6 loads pages fast enough for me, less than 1-2 sec most of the time, i dont think any other program is going to radically boost my connection speed. as for convenience, i've used IE for years now...and i havent DIED cuz i dont have nice little tabs, built in pop-up-blocker, skins, and kewl bars and favorites options. i think i'll be ok. if my IE6 ever craps out i'll be sure to give it a try though :thumbsup:

tristan

Good call. I just know security is a huge issue with IE. The amount of spyware and crap it allows behind the scenes is amazing.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tristan said:
Good call. I just know security is a huge issue with IE. The amount of spyware and crap it allows behind the scenes is amazing.

that would probably be a problem for a stand alone computer online...but mine is on a network, completely packed with firewalls, antivirus junk, filters, all kinds of security junk. its annoying, but it works lol...never had any viruses or anything liek that in the last 6 yrs or so. hopefully SP2 will fix the many IE probs...its sposed to be out soon i thought. what i might do is try downloading firefox on another PC and see if it works, if so i'll try it out for a while on there. maybe my computer just doesnt like it...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
lol what's so inconvenient? Upon install of FF it asks you if you want to import favorites, cookies, saved form info, passwords...
New registry entries for a program I will never use ... sides even if I did switch to FF, i'd have to hunt down every trace of IE and remove it (if I dont use an app I'll reformat and make sure its not installed to start with.... now with IE ... it's a bit more difficult to remove the traces of that! :D)

but yes, I think I can see what you mean -- just like it's inconvenient for me to go back to IE I suppose.
Yep!

its annoying, but it works lol
Bingo :p

agent-k

I went back to I.E. as well.
I tried Firefox 'cos I read somewhere that it was supposed to be much faster for internet browsing than Internet Explorer.
Used it for a couple of weeks but got fed up of waiting for pages to open.
Didn't suit me at all.

kb1ghc

I love FireFox, and if you haven't tryed v.9+ you are missing out.

The only 2 websites I have a problem with firefox on are Windows Update, and LAUNCH

Believe me Firefox is THE BEST BROWSER ON EARTH!
1. Secure, No exploits.
2. Best pop-up blocker, doesn't block stuff you want, blocks stuff you don't want.
3. Sites LOOK better
4. More Features
5. Open-source
6. lots of great support, and developers that love to hear your ideas.
7. RSS feed reader build in (on newer nightly builds)
8. Customizable themes.
9. FREE (Really free, unlike exploder)
10. Runs on almost any OS: Win, Mac, Unix.
11. Thunderbird keeps your mailbox 99.99999999% SPAM free
12. Better text copying - keeps formatting, even if pasted into a plain text box. (like notepad)
13. Tabbed browsing - more than one page in 1 window, really useful for comparison shopping
14. copy image locations (great for forums)
15. secure password storage (encrypted and stuff, unlike IE)
Great "extentions":
Adblock - Blocks banner ads, based on URL and wildcards are allowed (so you can block "http://ads. (anything)" (makes loading sites faster)
Autofill - Autofill forms, and have multiple identitiys like "FAKE" and "REAL"
BugMeNot - a database of usernames and passwords for many sites, check out bugmenot.com
Download with - use download accelerator of your choice for downloads
Downthemall! - makes a complete copy of a website, includeing all the hyperlinks
GoggleBar - Searchbar for google
Linkification - Turns text urls, into clickable hyperlinks

Browser war thread, V2.0 http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=2221

Status
Not open for further replies.