IE7 is slow!! Solutions needed

Wiens

MS autoupdate installed IE7 recently on my wife's computer. I noticed slower load times on certain web pages. Some take 25 to 65 seconds to load! I also hear a fairly steady noise that sounds like the hard-drive. The hard-drive sound is heard consistently. It is an HP Media Center PC with a 4200 AMD processor and 2 gigs of ram with onboard memory. Prior to the update IE6 loaded the web pages in a timely manner. It isn't the ISP as we have Cox cable with 6mb download bandwidth. My work laptop has no problem with IE7.

What do you suggest? I have viewed the task manager and notice a relative large number of processes running, but they were in place prior to IE7. Should I reverse the update to IE6? Do I have DNS problems? Is the virtual memory setting incorrect? What should the swap file size be?

HELP!!! My wife took an online timed test for her master's class and IE7 "locked up" for 25-45 seconds after each question/answer was submitted. That took 45 minutes of the 120 minute test time away. Needless to say she wasn't pleased.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin

patrickv

HARD DRIVE NOISE = HARWARE PROBLEM
IE7 SLOW = DOZENS OF OTHER BORWSERS OUT THERE
its neither DNS but i suggest u revert to IE6.
Im not using IE7 cuz its too damn slow and it take approx 8 sec to open up.

Wiens

I thought we had a relatively fast computer. With IE7 it must place enough of a load on the system that it slows it done. My question is where do I go from here? What should I look for, tweak, delete, remove, etc to help the computer be more productive?

I unistalled IE7 and reverted back to IE6; it is improved, however, I would like to remedy the underlying problem. Yes, Firefox is slightly faster but not all websites I access for my work are guaranteeed compatible so I "need" to stay with the IE series. Please advise.

Kevin